Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolan moving to steeplechase

Options
  • 02-01-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

I read in todays Irish Times that James Nolan is going to give the 3000 steeplechase a go this season, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on, 8.24 is the current Irish Record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

Yech, was at an athletics talk back in september in UCD, he metioned it then. The steeplechase is an event that people seem to have overlooked in the last few years, he'd hav a very good chance of getting in the olympic steeplechase final in '08.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I dont know if he has the strength for the steeple. Jamser doesnt do cross country which wont really help him over the tougher steeple.

Can he get over the barriers?????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Some people reckon that 15's are too short and 5's too long for Nolan and that 3000 is his best distance. Its the barriers are the problem, when you are up to your t*ts in lactic, I would imagine a solid 3 ft barrier and a dyke of water with 150m to go is not the most pleasant thing. I did a 3000sc years ago in the league, it was hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tingle wrote:
    Some people reckon that 15's are too short...

For a guy that ran 1:47 as a teenager? His best distance is still the 8. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I would go along with slow coach, I think his best distance is 800. Speaking to a steepler, who very handy, he reckons the best jamser will get is 8.30. People dont consider the last two water jumps.

As for Tingle's comment, The league is the best place to see people having a go at distances for the first time. You always see some dodgy field eventers. My perosnnel fav was a guy I know doing the steeple in 2005, was either rd2 or the final.
    He came to the first water jump, hit the barrier with his shins and ended up face first in the water.

oh the tears rolled that day. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement