Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Boilers...

Options
  • 02-01-2007 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've moved into a old council house and want to have the use of the fireplace...the old water pump for the back boiler is knackered and will need to be replaced so obviously in the mean time I cant use the fire.

I was wondering how much it costs for a water pump of this type of use?

Are there any other things I need to look out for before and after its installation?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

v-deniso wrote:
    I've moved into a old council house and want to have the use of the fireplace...the old water pump for the back boiler is knackered and will need to be replaced so obviously in the mean time I cant use the fire.

I was wondering how much it costs for a water pump of this type of use?

Are there any other things I need to look out for before and after its installation?

Cheers
    Is there water in the system, does it heat rads, is there oil or gas as well, are the systems linked - all things to look out for. About euro 200.00 to have a pump installed depending on layout, problems etc.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

Its an oil heating system, so I guess I would be looking to have the oil on for an hour or so and then switch over to the back boiler when I want to light the fire.

Is it a standard pump that I need to purchase or are there many different types available? Is there a particular one that is recommended?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As JamesM says, determine if it heats the rads or just the hot water. A lot of older houses had no central heating fitted and the back boiler just heated the hot water.

If you've got OFCH then you could consider removing the back boiler (or decommissioning it). That way you can light the fire without having any effect on the heating system. I'm considering removing my back boiler, which only heats the hot water, as if I've the fire on all day, even with the damper back, the water in the hot water cylinder gets too hot and I have to drain a lot off to prevent it boiling. The main problem with an old back boiler system is the lack of safety controls and the fact that it's not really possible to turn off the heat source (fire) as it would be on a gas or oil fired system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

crosstownk wrote:
    As JamesM says, determine if it heats the rads or just the hot water. A lot of older houses had no central heating fitted and the back boiler just heated the hot water.

If you've got OFCH then you could consider removing the back boiler (or decommissioning it). That way you can light the fire without having any effect on the heating system. I'm considering removing my back boiler, which only heats the hot water, as if I've the fire on all day, even with the damper back, the water in the hot water cylinder gets too hot and I have to drain a lot off to prevent it boiling. The main problem with an old back boiler system is the lack of safety controls and the fact that it's not really possible to turn off the heat source (fire) as it would be on a gas or oil fired system.
    Exactly ! And if you decide to replace the pump, you can just ask for the basic standard Grundfos central heating circulator.
    It depends what make the existing pump is, but you might be able to get that one going by loosening a nut in the centre of the pump and loosening off and spinning the impeller. Try it with the power off first and if the impeller seems to free up, try turning on the power and it might run. If we know the make, or see a photo, we might be able to advise better.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

Thanks for all your help guys!

OK couldnt get a photo of the pump but the manufacturer is MYSON and the model is SMC SD53 and its big and blue!
    I tried to start it again but without any luck so I guess its down the the plumbing supplies store tomorrow...Any thoughts on what the equivilent model is?

• Advertisement
Advertisement