Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease ends soon-what happens next

Options
  • 02-01-2007 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'd appreciate any help on this
    I've checked previous threads and tried ringing Threshold but couldn't get through

Last July I signed a 6 month lease on a one bedroom flat. It ends on January 17th.
    Landlady is totally above board, registered with PRTB and gave me her PPS number.
    She's the first landlord I've ever had that didn't insist on cash in hand. Makes a nice change.

I tried ringing her to see what the plan is as the lease ends in three weeks but her daughter answered her phone and she away in Thailand at the moment and won't be back for three weeks.

When the lease ends on January 17th, do I have to move out or leave on maybe a day's notice as the lease is expired? I'm happy to extend for another 6 months or so.
    I've read that I'm entitled to 28 days notice but do this apply as I already know when the lease expires? I've haven't spoken to her since November-no need as I pay rent by internet banking

One other question. If we do extend the lease and she decides to raise the rent could I refuse to the raise on this agruement.
    The house is split into 4 flats and I pay the same as all the others. All flats are roughly similar. So if she wanted to raise my rent could I refuse on the grounds she would have to raise all the other tenants rent also?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

micmclo wrote:
    I'd appreciate any help on this

When the lease ends on January 17th, do I have to move out or leave on maybe a day's notice as the lease is expired?

no. Once you are there for six months, you can stay for another 3 and a half years.
    I'm happy to extend for another 6 months or so.
    I've read that I'm entitled to 28 days notice but do this apply as I already know when the lease expires? I've haven't spoken to her since November-no need as I pay rent by internet banking

just keep on going as you've been doing. Don't worry about it unless you get notice from the landlady or unless you want to leave yourself.

One other question. If we do extend the lease and she decides to raise the rent could I refuse to the raise on this agruement.
    The house is split into 4 flats and I pay the same as all the others. All flats are roughly similar. So if she wanted to raise my rent could I refuse on the grounds she would have to raise all the other tenants rent also?

Mmmm ... probably, you might be able to refuse on this basis, yes. The increase has to be in line with the market in the area. I don't think it can be increased until the 12th or 13th month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks a million for the answers

Advertisement