Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating & Water problems with new apartment

Options
  • 02-01-2007 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I closed on my apartment just before Christmas. To discover 2 days later that the heating and hot water stopped working.

I have to go to a neighbours house to use their shower and have been using an electric heater 24hours a day to keep the place warm.

Do I have any comeback with the builder for this period of inconvenience?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is it in Balbriggan by any chance?

I doubht you have any claw back, but make sure the builder gets to the end of it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Moonbeam wrote:
    Is it in Balbriggan by any chance?

I doubht you have any claw back, but make sure the builder gets to the end of it for you.

or Gorsehill/holywell?

not sure about claw back in relation to inconvenience or expense in relation to teh heather. However they should have installed a quality heating system. and by that i mean one that workes.

did you test the heating before you closed? did yuor snagger do it?

either way if it packed in so soon get on to the site foreman and tell him to send someone to sort it out thare work is under guarantee. there should be no problem in getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Hi Stan,

All installations in your new home should have been fully tested & commissioned by the builder prior to close of sale. This is especially important with electrics & gas - your boiler should have a commissioning cert provided. It's not often possible to test these installations at snag stage as often the gas / esb is not connected.

If you reported the issue to the builder immiedately & they did not make good I would send on a copy of my next ESB bill requesting a contribution towards the cost of running the electric heater for the period. In any case the builder / sub-contractor does have a responsibility to sort this out. Get on to the developer imiediately & if you don't get any joy contact your solicitor.
    HTH

Advertisement