Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying 2nd hand car, what % to haggle?

Options
  • 02-01-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, I am buying a second hand car from a main dealer. Price is 8000, he offered me the car for cash @ 7500, how much more should I ask for? Start at 7000, meet at 7250? Thats 10%, would that be standard? They seem to have the car for a few weeks, so they may be eager to get rid of it. Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it?

have you looked at other similar cars and how do their prices compare to the one you are looking at?

are they giving warranty?

I have found a garage will normally allow between 5-7.5% of a haggling margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

if it were me i'd offer him 6k and take it from there and wouldnt pay more then 7k.

no matter what price i paid i'd get the garage to throw in a full tank of petrol as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

and a brand new air freshener. get your money's worth. yes sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It depends on the car I think. Some cars are more of 'buyers market' and some the dealer knows will sell more easily so may not agree to as large a discount. I only usually buy cars in the UK but on a £10k car I wouldn't pay more than £9.5 and would try to get it for £9k-£9250 with warranty, tank of petrol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

cujimmy wrote:
    if it were me i'd offer him 6k and take it from there and wouldnt pay more then 7k.

no matter what price i paid i'd get the garage to throw in a full tank of petrol as well

I think the tank of petrol gesture is well gone at this stage :confused: I have never bought a car from a garage where they gave me anymore than a tenner's worth of petrol and that included new ones ! The last car I bought was private and at least the lad had the decency to leave it with half a tank in it.

I was selling a car for €7.5k last year and a tyre kicker got me up on a sunday morning and spent an hour going through the car, inc its NCT cert and service historys, he then offered me 6K and I told him to fcuk off and stop wasting my time, I actually thought he was going to peel off a mask and reveal himself as jeremy beadle :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sizzler wrote:
    I think the tank of petrol gesture is well gone at this stage :confused: I have never bought a car from a garage where they gave me anymore than a tenner's worth of petrol and that included new ones !

No its not! There is nothing to made from selling cars in comparison to what they make from servicing, so they may as well have a very satisfied customer leaving the gates in the hope they will be back again soon for a €x00 service!

Everytime, I, my parents, or grandfather have bought a new (or in my case s/h) car, it has always been full to the very brim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

maidhc wrote:
    No its not! There is nothing to made from selling cars in comparison to what they make from servicing, so they may as well have a very satisfied customer leaving the gates in the hope they will be back again soon for a €x00 service!

Everytime, I, my parents, or grandfather have bought a new (or in my case s/h) car, it has always been full to the very brim.
    Absolutely right.

When I bought my A3 two years ago, we agreed on a full tank, but when I arrived to pick it up, it was only half full. I queried this and he said to bring it back around at the weekend (picked up on a Wednesday) and they filled it up to the brim again! So that was a tank and a half I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Happy days ! I mustn't have been forceful enough or just got stung by tight ass garages :(

I shall keep it in mind for the future though!

Totally agree though, its in their interest to do it, 50e worth of juice out of a €00000 purchase is fcuk all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Sizzler wrote:
    I think the tank of petrol gesture is well gone at this stage :confused: I have never bought a car from a garage where they gave me anymore than a tenner's worth of petrol and that included new ones ! The last car I bought was private and at least the lad had the decency to leave it with half a tank in it.

I was selling a car for €7.5k last year and a tyre kicker got me up on a sunday morning and spent an hour going through the car, inc its NCT cert and service historys, he then offered me 6K and I told him to fcuk off and stop wasting my time, I actually thought he was going to peel off a mask and reveal himself as jeremy beadle :p

No way first haggle on price, then haggle on what work you want done.

Ask how they are going to service it. Insist on timing belt being done, then try and get some new tyres, brake pads etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Did a deal, but didnt get anyhitng extra off, got it for 7500, advertised for 8000. Also, they are going to do a few more things to make it perfect, quite happy. Also, got the full fuel tank!! Cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

What car was it, out of interest?

Advertisement