Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best .com registration

Options
  • 02-01-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked already, but does anyone know what the best place to register a .com domain is? Google brings back thousands of responses, of varying prices.
    It's my first website, and as such, I don't really know what to look for.
    What have people had good experiences with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Godaddy.com would be the most popular choice, i have only used blacknight.ie for my registrations though. You shouldn't pay more than $10 or €10 for a .com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

.com domains are pretty much commodity. If you don't need DNS management, just go with the cheapest price you can find anywhere and change the nameservers to your hosting provider.

There's quite a few hosting providers who give away free domains with their hosting plans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

regi wrote:
    .com domains are pretty much commodity. If you don't need DNS management, just go with the cheapest price you can find anywhere and change the nameservers to your hosting provider.

There's quite a few hosting providers who give away free domains with their hosting plans too.

Err hangon
    That's not exactly the sanest advice I've seen

I'd emphasise reading the small print carefully

Some of the UK companies, for example, offer dirt cheap registration BUT it will cost you a fortune to move the domain to another registrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

blacknight wrote:
    Err hangon
    That's not exactly the sanest advice I've seen

I'd emphasise reading the small print carefully

Some of the UK companies, for example, offer dirt cheap registration BUT it will cost you a fortune to move the domain to another registrar.
    Great Advice Blacknight! Same has happened me as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Caveat emptor is always good advice, and its a fair point. There are some bad people out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I use GoDaddy.com to register domains,
    $8.95 per year and with the strength of the euro that works out at around €6.76

Have had no problems to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Go with www.blacknight.ie and you'll be in good hands. For example, I registered a domain with blacknight on Tuesday morning at 6am and it was available for use by 8am. Don't know why it was available so quick... it usually takes about 12-24 hours to propagate but it did within 2 hours. I even did a dns check on the major irish dns servers and all the relevant info was there.

But that's all a technical thing that went well for me. You'll be happy with the service from Blacknight and that's more important really.

Oh, and price is v.good too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

DJB, there's a relatively convaluted explanation for why that's the case, but as soon as the root zone has your domain, DNS information is available immediately. i.e. it's nothing special. Blacknight is taking your order & sending the details off to eNom immediately. The natural order of things took care of everything else after that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 atomised

I have used dotearth.com for the last few years and have found them to be excellent -- free parking, mail forwarding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

phil wrote:
    DJB, there's a relatively convaluted explanation for why that's the case, but as soon as the root zone has your domain, DNS information is available immediately. i.e. it's nothing special. Blacknight is taking your order & sending the details off to eNom immediately. The natural order of things took care of everything else after that :)
    Not entirely true. A lot depends on how often the hosting provider reloads their DNS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

namecheap.com

Advertisement