Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stairs - Options

Options
  • 02-01-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi there peeps.

I am looking at ways of improving my new house. Basically Id like to have a separate sitting room/hall as the way its setup at the moment, you walk into the sitting room from the street and the stairs is also in the sitting room, I've attached a photo. The house is about 950 sq ft, so space is tight.

One idea I've thought about would be to box off the stairs area completely from the Sitting room and add a false wall and door to the end of the sitting room to create a hallway.

The stairs is fairly old it moves and creaks a bit and will need to be replaced as part of the renovations.

I've attached what the room looks like now

I've no DIY exp apart from my woodwork class in school, so I'll be getting a contractor in.

Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I removed the wall you were thinking about putting in.

+'s of this layout is "open plan"
    It is good because it gives a good feeling of space - which you are looking to maximise.

-'s are because of the open plan it allows a draft to come down the stairs if the temperature on the landing above is below the temperature of the sitting room below.

What is directly at the top of the stairs?

Also, I would not consider a "creak" in the stairs as cause for removing and replacing them.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

We fitted a stairs recently in pretty much the same situation as you. If it was me I'd keep it open plan Putting a wall there will make the room feel way smaller The one we did had a half riser instead of a full one which leave some light though but still is stronger than having none like on your stairs I'll check tomorrow to see if the boss took photo's of the stairs and put them up if he does I know it was in white oak or ash just can't remember one off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Like nereid I took out a wall enclosing my stairs & it made a huge difference to the feeling of space in my livingroom.

Walling it off will cut down on noise. However, for the amount of time that you will be using the stairs compared to the constant feeling of living in a larger space I think that it is a poor trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This might sound a bit silly, but could it be an option to put in a glass rather than a plasterboard wall? That might give you the best of both worlds.

It wouldn't be cheap, but maybe you can afford it if you can figure out a way to avoid replacing the stairs (which doesn't look too old to me).

Advertisement