Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

End of life vehicles?

Options
  • 02-01-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Having trouble finding decent info on how to legally get rid of an end of life car-van. It's a non-starter, just want the thing gone at this stage. Vehicle is in Swords, so I'm guessing its Fingal Co. Council not DCC??

I dont fancy towing (or using up my AA tows quota ;))

What's the norm folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Talk to Fingal Co Co. They may have a charge, but it's a handy way of getting rid of a banger. Be sure to get a certificate of destruction/scrappage so as you can prove you disposed of it. Then send the log book/VLC to the VRO in Shannon marking the form to indicate that the vehicle has been scrapped. It's important to do this is case the car is 'resurrected' at some stage in the future and the next thing you know is that you are getting parking fines, speeding fines, etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The fingal site doesn't appear to have anything but this page should lead you in the right direction...
    http://www.dublinwaste.ie/car_removal.html
    The Council provides a service whereby they can dispose of unwanted car for a fee of €50. Fingal Co. Co. also remove abandoned cars at the request of the public.

To obtain this service or to report an abandoned car please ring the department at: 01-8906287 / 8906289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Kind of off topic, but I noticed in the news yesterday that the UK has brought in a system where people can scrap their cars for free.

Fat chance of us seeing anything like that here for a while eh...

Wertz wrote:
    Kind of off topic, but I noticed in the news yesterday that the UK has brought in a system where people can scrap their cars for free.

I wonder was there someone posting on a UK forum a few years back about how the Irish government were offering the public money to scrap their cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Would any of the scrapyards take it off your hands??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Savman wrote:
    Having trouble finding decent info on how to legally get rid of an end of life car-van. It's a non-starter, just want the thing gone at this stage. Vehicle is in Swords, so I'm guessing its Fingal Co. Council not DCC??

What's the norm folks?

Put it up for sale in the Buy & Sell or something. You never know, someone might want it for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Wertz wrote:

We are getting the same thing pretty soon, as it is required in order to implement the EU ELV Directive. Can't say exactly when, but IIRC it must be introduced in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kbannon wrote:
    I wonder was there someone posting on a UK forum a few years back about how the Irish government were offering the public money to scrap their cars?

Ah but see that was just wallet stroking on behalf of the revenue; the point being that anyone "scrapping" a car was buying a new one and paying the VRT.
    Then introduce the NCT to pay for the whole thing a year or so later...

My point in posting what I said was that if we had a system here where people could scrap their old banger for nada it might take a lot of the scrap off of the sides of our roads.
    Maidhc reckons it's an EU directive, so hopefully we'll be toing the line sometime this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Don't think I could be arsed trying to sell it, no tax, no DOE, non starter etc. (and now the poxy doors dont open after my tussle with the erratic alarm)
    Its petrol engine with 118,000 miles - if it was a diesel I'd fix her up.

Will check out those links cheers.

• Advertisement

There is something in todays Oirish Times (here... if you are a subscriber) about a new law coming in on Jan 1st where they are to be disposed of for free.

maidhc's links above may already say that but I haven't read them!
    edit: read maidhc's first link which explains it all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Aaawwww! I hope there's going to be a little memorial service for "Rusty the Trusty White Charger"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Savman wrote:

What's the norm folks?

i believe if it's parked on the road side it has to be disposed of by the council. Maybe take the plates off first.... sssshhh i did'nt tell ya that.

stifz wrote:
    i believe if it's parked on the road side it has to be disposed of by the council. Maybe take the plates off first.... sssshhh i did'nt tell ya that.
    Doing that without removing the two VINs will probably get you into trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

If you want rid of it ring Gannons City Recovery (8907715). They're in Donabate and also have a small yard in Saggart and look after scrapping ELV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

that UK thing came into force here too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm in the same situation. I have an old Subaru Vivio that while still runs after its last check up in November the mechanic suggest it not be driven beyond July of this year.

So I have my new car now and I need to recycle this, and not sure how to. :/

Sell it before it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

thats not an option. While I am sure in my case the car will drive well past July it is unlikely if ever to pass NCT again (which is in March). So would prefer to know how to legally get rid of it.

Someone might be interested in it for spares..

• Advertisement
Advertisement