Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting light and a socket in a shed

Options
  • 02-01-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I want to put a light and at least two sockets in a shed. What i need is some know how for this little job.

I want to put a little fuse/mcb board in the shed. In this board i want to have a main switch to isolate the shed circuit from the main board in the house. This is in case i want to add some more sockets, outside lights later on.

I want to have the lights circuit and the socket circuit separated and not on the same fuse. this is in case if i do something stupid and blow a fuse at night i wont be left in the shed in the dark.

Thats the job description. What i need to know is what size wire do i need to run from the house board to the shed board. What do i need in the shed board to do what i have described above.

All help appreciated.

(aside: I really dont need any lectures on safety on electricity. I get enough of it at work. I do a lot of electrical wiring just not familiar with house wiring and safety systems or whats available etc...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Run either 6mm sq or 10mm sq T&E Armoured cable from the house to the new "consumer board".

This board should incorporate a RCD unless you're wiring into the one in your consumer board in the house and the socket MCB(s) 20A should be wired off this RCD.

Then install 10A MCB(s) for the lights, not necessarily through the RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

RCDs is something i know very little about. Do they come in different sizes? What would be the best type for what I need?

Also I have heard of RCBOs and RCCBs when it comes to wiring. What are these and woulld thya be any good for what I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

At what point does electrical work need to be certified or signed off on. A firend of mine who is studying electrical engineering in college is going to add some sockets in a renovated kithcn for me and move the power switch for the electrical cooker to bring it in line with other switches. Can this job be done without any signing off or what is the legal requirement ?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Darren R

you dont really need to have this work signed off.But however i would be very wary about your friend doing this work as he doesnt sound to be very experianced

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Keeks

An RCBO is a combined MCB and RCD. Both of these combine to give to protection for your socket circuits. Your lights do not require RCD protection. don't worry about RCCBs or ELCBs or anything like that. As it's only shed requiring only one socket one 20 Amp RCBO for your one socket circuit will be perfect.

the lights will be from a 10 Amp MCB. Keeks I think I went through this before , maybe I'm wrong, if you want I'll draw it up for you because these things can be confusing when you are not at them all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Stoner

Just doing the same with my new shed..

Bought a consumer unit (off ebay) for the shed and circuit breaker for the house fuse box

I have already buried a 2.5 Armoured cable from the shed to the house fuse box.

My dad is an elecrician so he gave me the shopping list... he doing the rest of the work.

1 Garage/shed consumer unit
    2 Armoured cable (2.5)
    3 16 or 20 mcb
    4 5m 2.5 twin and earth for the plugs (not flex)
    5 5m 1.5 twin and earth for the lights (not flex)
    6 plug sockets and back box
    7 light unit

hope it helps

regards
    Garyh3

nice job garyh3

Anyway here is a wiring diagram, the L for Live and the N for neutral have been left out sorry, but they will be on the MCBs and RCBOs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lloydyboy

how come Garyh3's dad is ok to run 2.5 from house to the shed for sockets and a light but when I suggested it I was shot down... ???? Is it because garyh3's dad is timed served and you guys don't want to criticise a fellow spark ?

lloydyboy wrote: »
    how come Garyh3's dad is ok to run 2.5 from house to the shed for sockets and a light but when I suggested it I was shot down... ???? Is it because garyh3's dad is timed served and you guys don't want to criticise a fellow spark ?

To some degree yes, his dad will make sure that the cct is not overloaded, the advice you were given was sound .
    It's always best to have a bigger cable, it wont cost that much more, and you were feeding two sheds, you were advised that a smaller cable was acceptable for the second shed looped off the first shed.
    these days washers, dryers freezers etc all end up in a shed, you will be covered for that.

I'm sure that garyh3's Dad would agree, but the cable was already in place in this situation.

Distance is also a big issue, the longer distances require larger cables, it's up to garyh3's Dad to check that he is happy with the distance he is dealing with.

Advertisement