Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs on St.Stephen's Day

• 02-01-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I am well annoyed about how much we were being charged to get into night clubs last St. Stephen's Day. €15 to get in for a few hours with overpriced drink and a dj who's only collection stems from Now 63 and Now 64.

Okay so i paid the money into oxygen, cause i was with a big group and they were adament in goin to a nightclub, but i was expectin a gud crowd. But they had upstairs closed and it wasn't even packed on the 1st floor. Now i thought the reason for putting up the prices is because so many people would be around and that the clubs think that people would pay anything to get in. But even my friend said that Ruby's wasn't even packed.

I seriously don't understand then why prices go up. is it because they have missed out on a night thru closing for Christmas or is it just pure greed as usual from them. Any comments what the Bowery, Ten and Forum was like? Don't know how much they were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

edmund wrote:
    I am well annoyed about how much we were being charged to get into night clubs last St. Stephen's Day. €15 to get in for a few hours with overpriced drink and a dj who's only collection stems from Now 63 and Now 64.

Okay so i paid the money into oxygen, cause i was with a big group and they were adament in goin to a nightclub, but i was expectin a gud crowd. But they had upstairs closed and it wasn't even packed on the 1st floor. Now i thought the reason for putting up the prices is because so many people would be around and that the clubs think that people would pay anything to get in. But even my friend said that Ruby's wasn't even packed.

I seriously don't understand then why prices go up. is it because they have missed out on a night thru closing for Christmas or is it just pure greed as usual from them. Any comments what the Bowery, Ten and Forum was like? Don't know how much they were.

I have no sympathy for you. As long as you, and people like you, continue to pay these daft admission prices and over the odds for drink nothing will change. A couple of nights boycotting them would sort it.

And while we're on the subject why are so many people allowed into nightclubs anyway. Have we learned nothing from the Stardust disaster?:mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Here's what I can't understand. Take for instance, a Saturday night, why pay 10+ to get into a nightclub when you can stay back in the late bars. Masons, Revolution and Electric Avenue are late bars on a saturday, and I think the Kasbah has followed suit. Fair enough if your on the pull, but if you're just out for the night...come on people, clubs are for 18-24 year olds. (Clubs the odd time are fine but going every week is a little sad)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

In answering your question OP yes it is greed that motivates these people, or more accurately Bob Tweedy I would say.

What made me laugh was New Year's Eve in th Bowery, (alright fair play to the dj my friends requested the smiths for me and they played them), call me old fashioned but I think a countdown on New Year's Eve is traditional and gives a good atmosphere ............not according to the Bowery who eschewed a countdown in favour of ..............silence. Alright fair enough I'm sure the dj's were the victims of a technical malfunction but still, bad form!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Freddie59 wrote:
    I have no sympathy for you. As long as you, and people like you, continue to pay these daft admission prices and over the odds for drink nothing will change. A couple of nights boycotting them would sort it.

And while we're on the subject why are so many people allowed into nightclubs anyway. Have we learned nothing from the Stardust disaster?:mad: :(

Here here, people need to vote with their feet and s;top going to such holes, and I couldn't agree more about packing people in, all a nightclub needs is a good fire and loads of people will die

Rubys and places like it are a fire hazard and death traps, the fire officials should visit them on a sat night and close them down for being unsafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cabaal wrote:
    Rubys and places like it are a fire hazard and death traps, the fire officials should visit them on a sat night and close them down for being unsafe

Very true, Rubys is the worst offender of them all IMO.

I stopped going to the clubs a long time ago due to lack of choice, the momopoly held on them and the extortionate prices as a result of the monopoly, seems like nothing has changed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

fade2black wrote:
    Here's what I can't understand. Take for instance, a Saturday night, why pay 10+ to get into a nightclub when you can stay back in the late bars. Masons, Revolution and Electric Avenue are late bars on a saturday, and I think the Kasbah has followed suit. Fair enough if your on the pull, but if you're just out for the night...come on people, clubs are for 18-24 year olds. (Clubs the odd time are fine but going every week is a little sad)

Where is Electric Avenue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

tonc76 wrote:
    Where is Electric Avenue?

Formerly Ulysess (SP?), beside 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Late bars that I am aware of are... Masons, Reveloutions, Electric Avenue, Kazbar, Rubys Lounge, Muldoons and Harveys.

I think the above is a very good mix/selection to have. Especially if you wish to avoid a nightclub fee wich I think is madness.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I was in a nightclub. But I can safely say that I will continue to avoid them as long as there are late bars around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

You should just drink in a place that has no respect for the licensing laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Do like me - I head to my local pub in the sticks every Stephens Night and then I sod off somewhere outside of ireland for the rest of the festive period - this year it was Rome, last year NYC and the year before Budapest !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I found the Bowery and the Forum to be very good over the Christmas and not (to the best of my knowledge) owned by Tweedy. But I suppose if you're an Oxygen & Ruby's man it seems to be against the law to go to these places...

Did feel a bit old in these places though I have to say.

Advertisement