Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point registering a .ie until my biz name reg. no. comes thru?

Options
  • 02-01-2007 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I am waiting on my business name to be registered and should have confirmation of this and a reg. number within the next couple of weeks (not sure how long it takes them to come back). Also awaiting an order of headed paper/business cards with the business name plastered on them.

Is there any point trying to register the domain name now or do I have to wait until I have these to prove registration? I just want to make sure that someone else doesnt take this name. Have the dot net version on the cards/letter head - but having thought about it, I think it will work better from a sales point of view if I take the dot ie...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

If you fax through your RBN application to the IEDR, they'll often give you a provisional registration, giving you 8 weeks to submit the final documentation.

Don't forget to do it though - they will kill the domain if you don't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

regi wrote:
    If you fax through your RBN application to the IEDR, they'll often give you a provisional registration, giving you 8 weeks to submit the final documentation.

Don't forget to do it though - they will kill the domain if you don't :)
    Thanks regi. Will proceed with it then and fax the app through as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Have to credit the CRO - got my Cert. of Registration 3 days after posting off the application.

- Now, I had originally established a .net version and registered that site with yahoo/google/etc. so that the 'bots could crawl through it and eventually It can make its way up the search engine results listings.

I want to point this .ie domain at it now - if I do this right now, will this interfere with google/yahoo et al in their crawling - and ultimately ranking of the site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I've done this just before xmas actually. Registered with the CRO and was waiting. Couple of days later I just did a search on the site and sure enough the name came up as accepted. The Cert didn't arive for a couple of weeks, but with the business number I was able to register the .ie as soon as it was accepted (said it was accepted on the date the day after I registered the name, so I'd actually missed out on a couple of days :rolleyes: It was ok though, the domain wasn't taken....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I want to point this .ie domain at it now - if I do this right now, will this interfere with google/yahoo et al in their crawling - and ultimately ranking of the site??

Use a 301 redirect, so that Google et al know which site they should "care about" in the future

• Advertisement
Advertisement