Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major Laptop Problem

• 02-01-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    First thing my laptop did this year was stop working. When I turn it on, the fan starts up, the power light comes on and thats it, the screen doesn't come on or nothing. The fan just keeps on whirring and thats it. It doesn't make any attempt to boot up. It was fine the day before. Does anybody have any ideas what could cause this and how can it be righted. I have a fair knowledge of computers but I'm stumped on this one. Any help will be greatly appriciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try removing the battery and putting it back in again, see if there is any change. Is it the same when running off the mains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey Ruu. Thanks for the quick reply.
    My battery has packed up for quite a while now so the laptop always runs off the mains.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Does the hard drive activity light flash at all? Could be a case of the backlight in the screen is buggered

Can you hear the hard drive spin or just the fans? Before I get to that, how accessible is the RAM in the laptop? If it is easy to get to, try removing the modules and placing them back in and see if there is any change.

Asok wrote:
    Does the hard drive activity light flash at all? Could be a case of the backlight in the screen is buggered
    The Hard Drive activity light doesn't flash at all, plus no nice Windows music so I don't think its the backlight
    Ruu wrote:
    How accessible is the RAM in the laptop? If it is easy to get to, try removing the modules and placing them back in and see if there is any change
    Will give it a shot, presumably while the laptop is plugged out?

• Advertisement

BTW Ruu
    The hard drive doesn't spin, as far as I can tell. Kinda worried about pokin about in the thing but will try

Yeah when its off, reseat the memory modules. On Dell laptops there is normally a little hatch that you take off from the underneath of the laptop and the memory can be replaced/removed from there.

Well I took off the underside, removed the battery and RAM modules and then replaced them and now the laptop won't even turn on, think a visit to a PC clinic tomorrow is in order!

Sorry Sorry, the reason that it didn't turn on was a faulty power supply. Now it's powering up but same prob as before!

Anybody with any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Well I have asked around in work (I work in an I.T. firm) and everyone looks at me blankly so I might have to bring it to the only P.C. Clinic I know of in Galway .......bloody P.C. World! Anyone know of another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ask in work if they have an external 2.5" inch drive bay so that you can check to see if the hard drive in the laptop actually works,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I'd say they'll tell your your mobo is fcuked. And it very well could be but it could be other things either. Does it give any warning beeps just after you power it up?

No. Just the usual beep that it always gave when I started it up. Half afraid to bring it into clinic in case they DO tell me it's the mobo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

The laptop isn't a Toshiba by any chance? They are reknowned for having screen problems. Mate of mine had one a while back which came on, made a beep, fan started whirring but no screen.

You could try to and connect it to an external monitor if you have one. Also try to enter into the bios when rebooting.

hmm well if it's giving the usual single beep then I would be reluctant to write off the mobo just yet. Have you any way of taking out the HDD and testing it on another PC as suggested by others. Just to rule that out. Even if that wasn't working though I would be expecting to be seing something on the screen so i think my money is on the screen itself or possibly the inverter.

If you really stare at the screen (even shine a torch on it) can you see anything at all or is it just black?

stooge wrote:
    You could try to and connect it to an external monitor if you have one.

Very good suggestion aswell to rule that out for once and for all. :)

Well just got back from the clinic and the news is not good. The mobo is apparently shot. Nothing left to do but grab my stuff off the HD and start looking for a spare few hundred quid for a new one. Great start to the year or what

Is this the Pc world clinic? did they try any of the suggestions from the posts above or just turn it on, see nothing on screen and then tell you the mobo was shot promptly followed by "Our laptop aisle is just over here"?

In fairness, the guy tried everything mentioned above and other stuff. He seemed genuine too. Said to try the net for a better deal than they were giving (cheapest Laptop €649). Oh well.......the old girl had to go sometime, just thought we had a few years left together. Will let one more guy have a look at hr, he's defo the biggest tech nerd I've ever met. After that it's curtains

• Advertisement

Sounds like he gave it a thorough check alright. It was decent of him to point you to the net for a replacement aswell. Comiserations on your loss :o

Cheers Zippy.
    Ah well, already started looking for replacement. Found a reputable guy selling secondhand, refurbished laptops. Whoop de feckin doooooo

Advertisement