Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abroad, and need new passport

Options
  • 02-01-2007 9:11pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm living in France and my passport is coming to the end of its long and arduous life. Having booked a flight to Boston in March, I'll need to get it renewed. Rather than have to piss about with the authorities here, making treks to Paris etc., I'd rather just order it and pick it up in Dublin (it's cheaper to get to Dublin than Paris these days!). Does anyone know if there's any problem with this and/or how I can make the application from abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If it's of any use to you I'm also travelling to Boston in March and I'm getting mine in Paris as last time it was cheaper and faster then when I got it last (in Cork).

I'll let you how I get on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cheers. I'm a bit stuck for a witness signature as I don't know any nuns or notaries. What the hell are you supposed to do for these things?

I don't understand (yet) how it works for us but my wife renewed her British passport last year in Paris and the requirements the witness were that it had to be someone with a current British that knew her for a minimum of 2 years 'I think).

As it's abroad you can forget about looking for a judge, priest, nun... :)

On the form it specifically states that the witness has to be one of a clergyman, lawyer, accountant (wtf?), policeman etc. that knows me personally or knows someone who knows me personally. I would consider it a positive thing that cops and judges don't know me (and that I don't know any chartered accountants :D).

• Advertisement

Well, AFAIK someone at the embassy will usually vouch for you.

But the British website says the same thing yet I know that they accept almost anyone as a witness if you're getting your passport outside of Ireland.

Well the French police, being French and being police were outraged at my impertinence in asking them to sign a form not specifically mentioned in their contracts as forms-you-have-to-sign-if-asked. I don't really feel like a 1600km round trip to Paris just to get a signature, so I think I'll give the nunnery a try!

I met 2 guys today who both got their local bar Irish manager to sign their passport form! It's true that he was an owner of a business but in reality no one gives a damn who actually signs it :)

Got everything together now but I don't know what address to send it to. The info with application form is rubbish and the website atrocious - French errors a twelve year old wouldn't make and no pertinent info abotu passports.

Is it supposed to go to the embassy on Aveune Foch or the Passport Office on rue Rude?

Is it supposed to go to the embassy on Aveune Foch or the Passport Office on rue Rude?

It's the same place. The postal address is Avenue Foch but if you want to visit them you need to walk in the door on Rue Rude :)

Who did you get to witness it?

• Advertisement

First person I found in my office with a stamp on her desk :)

Advertisement