Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java UDP Applet Problem

Options
  • 02-01-2007 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm not very good at programming in java so this problem may be very simple. I'm trying to get basic communications between a UDP server application and a UDP Client running in an applet. The client works fine when I run the code inside an application, but when I run it as an applet I get the JOptionPane showing "Probe1" but never gets to "Probe2". Has this got something to do with java security not allowing UDP/TCP from an applet? I had a similar project work using TCP last year as long as I was communicating with an application on the localhost so I thought it should work the same here. Any help would be very much appriecated.

Edit: I just checked to see if there was any error raised in the applet. When I print it out it shows:
    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission 127.0.0.1:9876 connect, resolve)
    What does this mean??

import java.applet.*;
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.io.*;
    import java.net.*;
    import javax.swing.*;

public class UDPApplet extends Applet
    {
    //public void paint( Graphics g )
    public void init()
    {
    try
    {
    DatagramSocket clientSocket = new DatagramSocket();

InetAddress IPAddress = InetAddress.getByName("127.0.0.1");

byte[] sendData = new byte[1024];

byte[] receiveData = new byte[1024];

String sentence = "Hello World";

sendData = sentence.getBytes();

DatagramPacket sendPacket = new DatagramPacket(sendData, sendData.length, IPAddress, 9876);

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Probe1");

clientSocket.send(sendPacket);

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Probe2");

DatagramPacket receivePacket = new DatagramPacket(receiveData, receiveData.length);

clientSocket.receive(receivePacket);

String modifiedSentence = new String(receivePacket.getData());

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, modifiedSentence);

clientSocket.close();

}
    catch (Exception e) {}
    }
    }

import java.io.*;
    import java.net.*;

class UDPS
    {
    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception
    {

DatagramSocket serverSocket = new DatagramSocket(9876);

byte[] receiveData = new byte[1024];

byte[] sendData = new byte[1024];

while(true)
    {

DatagramPacket receivePacket = new DatagramPacket(receiveData, receiveData.length);

serverSocket.receive(receivePacket);

String sentence = new String(receivePacket.getData());

InetAddress IPAddress = receivePacket.getAddress();

int port = receivePacket.getPort();

String capitalizedSentence = sentence.toUpperCase();

sendData = capitalizedSentence.getBytes();

DatagramPacket sendPacket = new DatagramPacket(sendData, sendData.length, IPAddress, port);

serverSocket.send(sendPacket);
    }
    }

}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Um this might sound a bit obvious but you sure you don't have a firewall running that is blocking this port? First thing I would try.

Edit - now i don't know anything about java didn't touch it yet but you may have to grand permission in your app.

This might look interesting: http://forums.devx.com/showthread.php?t=29907

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Thanks for the reply Webmonkey. The reason I didn't think it was a firewall problem is because it works in the application format but not in the applet. I'll have a look at that thread you linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

The issue is with the security model that is run when running an applet as opposed to an application.
    The following url has a good explanation from the source on how to do this.
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Security/applets/

For testing purposes, if you are trying the applet using appletviewer, use the command 'policytool' from the jre and add a new permission "all permissions" to your policy file and then you should be able to connect. Note this is just a quick workaround to save you signing the jar file etc which would be necessary for any production applet.

Thanks sh_o. I don't want to have to go through the whole signing jar files and all that if i can help it, but applet viewer will not do. Is there a quick workaround for running this in a browser without the signing of jar files? Its only a small part of a college project so I want to hack through it as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

From memory the only server an applet can open a TCP/UDP connection to is the server it was downloaded from, into the web-browser.

Is your UDP server running on the same machine that serves the web-page that calls the applet?

• Advertisement

Ok, so I went through signing the jar files and it works well. Now I want to have a C server talk to a java applet. It works fine for a C server and client, a java server and client applet, but for some reason I cannot send a datagram from the java applet to the C server. I have copied in the code I think is relevant below. Is there some sort of problems with interoperability between java and c strings/byte[]? Hopefully someone knows where I'm going wrong, thanks.

java client code for sending datagram:

InetAddress IPAddress = InetAddress.getByName("localhost");//("127.0.0.1");
    String s = "Hello";
    sendData = s.getBytes();
    DatagramPacket sendPacket = new DatagramPacket(sendData, sendData.length, IPAddress,1099);
    clientSocket.send(sendPacket);

c server code to receive datagram:

int sock, length, fromlen, n, i = 0;
    struct sockaddr_in server;
    struct sockaddr_in from;
    char buf[1024];

sock=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
    if (sock < 0) error("Opening socket");

length = sizeof(server);

bzero(&server,length);

server.sin_family=AF_INET;

server.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY;

server.sin_port=htons(PORT);//atoi(PORT));

if (bind(sock,(struct sockaddr *)&server,length)<0)
    error("binding");

fromlen = sizeof(struct sockaddr_in);

printf("Waiting for datagram from client\n");
    n = recvfrom(sock,buf,1024,0,(struct sockaddr *)&from,&fromlen);
    if (n < 0) error("recvfrom");
    write(1,"Received a datagram: ",21);
    write(1,buf,n);

The c program sits at "Waiting for datagram from client".
    Once again, thanks for all the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

I can only speak from the java end, but I presume the information is buffered so make sure you call clientSocket.flush() on the java client end to indicate you are finished.
    Also, should the c code not be in some form of a loop, put a while loop around the checking for the datagram bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah i was wondering about that while loop as well

It seems the problem was with this line although I can see no reason why it wouldn't work as it worked for the application?!

InetAddress IPAddress = InetAddress.getByName("localhost");//("127.0.0.1");

I deleted the "localhost" part and uncommented the "127.0.0.1" part. Works fine now. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement