Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Account Number

Options
  • 03-01-2007 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas as to how I can find out what my Universal Account Number is, without contacting my phone provider? Can it be translated from the original Eircom account number? I don't want to ask my current line/calls provider as they might pull the plug on me in the middle of a bill dispute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is the same as the eircom account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It's not the same as the eircom a/c number (it's longer) or, at least, it usen't be. Also, your current provider is unlikely to release the line (which they have to before it can be moved to another provider) if there are outstanding billing issues. The UAN is on bills of some providers, and is on the online bill of other providers. Don't know of any, but I'm sure there are, that don't put it on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My current line provider has, on the bill, UAN, followed by a 7 digit number. I quoted the number to a new provider and they told me that it should have 8 digits and that the number I quoted means nothing to them. He also said that the eight digit number wouldn't start with a zero, as my 7 digit number does.
    I was thinking that there was some "Universal" way of converting the old Eircom number to the UAN.
    I don't want to be regarded as a xenophobe but the people on the BT help-line all seem to be "not from these parts" and don't appear to be able to handle dodgy and devious situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

While recently getting a phone line reconnected to get DSL, I was informed that the UAN was the eircom account number, as since Eircom own all the line equipment their reference (i.e. account number) is universal.

Definitely the eircom account number sufficed as a UAN for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I am in the opposite situation - I moved into a new (rented) apartment just before Christmas. I have the UAN, but not the eircom account number. When my landlady was on to eircom to get the phone reconnected(before I moved in), they told her it was the only number she'd need when dealing with them and that there was no problem.

Now eircom won't even talk to me on the phone about the proper eircom account number(which they say is different), promised over three weeks ago to send out the account number (via letter) to my address (but so far haven't) and the customer service have ranged from helpful to downright rude. Two weeks ago, it was a valid, active eircom account, now someone I got to ring up on my behalf was told the line is not with eircom and hasn't been since 2005(!). Now my landlady is away, so I can't even get her to ring, but she definitely told me she was on to eircom in early December. :rolleyes:

The only reason I need the account number is so I can switch to SMART with its lovely broadband products :(

It's so frustrating dealing with eircom. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement