Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autolok thing

Options
  • 03-01-2007 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Got my first car, a ****ty 95 micra, was nice and cheap though. But will be parked on the street and has no alrm or immob and tbh, im not prepared to spend big money getting them installed either. So was looking at getting one of these, my mate is selling his cheap as he doesnt need it anymore, just want to know if its any use? Cos i dont want to have a false sense of security you know? Any one got a link to reviews? Was messing abot with it and tbh the telescopic piece of metal sticking out seemed a bit flimsy and i felt i could of broke it if i put all my leg strength into it.

http://www.autolok.co.uk/Pages/A2000.htm

What yous think? i heard you can just cut the wheel with a chain and lock?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A lock and chain would be difficult to get past (not everyone has a bolt cutters in their trousers!)
    personally I think they are crap - tey look awful and you need somewhere to put it.
    Anyhow, IIRC Auto Express did a review of these in the past - check @ www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/archive/1 to see if its still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Father_Ted

A good lock and a heavy chain is the way to go. As kbannon said the tools needed to break the chain and if it's a good quailty lock are harder to carry around. I personally have always used them on previous cars that I have owned which would be more prone to be stolen eg Civic, FTO and Celica's with success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Lock and chain, can't beat it.

I also use the 'old school' Autolok thing that you put on the handbrake and wrap it around the gear stick. I think it's quite good, although their only flaw is if the gear stick knob can be screwed of, then the Autolok thing can be easily be removed. Luckly my gear knob doesn't come off (heh, that sounded rude! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

most definatly the lock and chain, sometimes these are even better to have than an alarm. unless the fecker has a tool box with him he wont go near it. also as you so nicely described your car i find it funny when i see an old car with a lock that almost looks as expensive and takes up all the boot space. trusty old chain cant go wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lads i think yous are being a bit naive here. A scumbag wont break the chain or padlock, he will simply cut through your steering wheel with a hacksaw. It will take under 30secs to do so if there any use.

The autolok about looks decent enough, but tbh id put both the chain and the autolok on, they wont go near it then as it involves breaking the autolok and cutting the steering wheel.

IIRC auto express said the autolok disklok and the autolok 2000 were the hardest locks to get through, taking over 10mins with all the tools supplied, whereas the original autolok (the gearstick one) took approx ten seconds.

The other locks that go through the wheel are fairly easy too apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

In reality, this is what you want:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Lads i think yous are being a bit naive here. A scumbag wont break the chain or padlock, he will simply cut through your steering wheel with a hacksaw. It will take under 30secs to do so if there any use.

The autolok about looks decent enough, but tbh id put both the chain and the autolok on, they wont go near it then as it involves breaking the autolok and cutting the steering wheel.

IIRC auto express said the autolok disklok and the autolok 2000 were the hardest locks to get through, taking over 10mins with all the tools supplied, whereas the original autolok (the gearstick one) took approx ten seconds.

The other locks that go through the wheel are fairly easy too apparently.
    The trick is to wrap the chain around the spokes of the wheel and thus if the scumbag has to cut through different parts of the wheel to remove the chain, then he'd be unable to steer the car and would probably crash into a wall (of course thats not such a bad thing);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

The trick is to wrap the chain around the spokes of the wheel and thus if the scumbag has to cut through different parts of the wheel to remove the chain, then he'd be unable to steer the car and would probably crash into a wall (of course thats not such a bad thing);)

I dont see how? I realise that he will have to cut a few different parts of the wheel, but the wheel will hardly break apart as the centre unit will be holding things together?

Anyway, the autolock stops anyone cutting you wheel or anything and if it takes a professional with the right tools 10 mins to get off, then your typical scumbag should have a good few problems with it and probly wont bother. But if you live ina dodge area, lash the chain on aswell, but i cant see them going mad to get it with it being a ****ty micra:D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

I use a disklok - covers the steering wheel entirely, so the scum can't cut the wheel, and it free-wheels around the wheel, so they can't use it as a lever to break the column either. Set me back 90eur in Halfords. It's also fairly obvious, so reduces the chances of the scum breaking your windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've an old disklok sitting in the shed. Great lock, but don't need it at the moment. Anyone want to make me an offer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement