Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Testing engine out of car ???

Options
  • 03-01-2007 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I drive a 1.3 Honda Civic and Iam in need of a new engine, my engine at the moment is a 1.3 Carb and I have spotted a 1.5 Dual Carb for sale only thing is the engine is not in a car.

I have rang the guy about the engine and he says it will start 100% guaranteed, but he would say that as he is trying to sell it.

Is there any way in can be tested with out being in a car, I know a compression test can be done but that needs the engine running. I really need to make sure that this engine is not a lemon.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Testing an engine outside of the vehicle will simply tell you that the engine works to some extent. How an engine behaves under load is entirely different and can only be tested with the engine pulling the load (passengers and car) or on a dynamometer where a load can be applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

So I have to go on what the guy has said, its only 200 euro for the engine but I just dont want to pay out 200 euro and find out that its knackered.

If only people could only be honest then I wouldn't have to be so cautious. I suppose its worth a look and a talk with the fella in person to try and see if its a bum deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If only people could only be honest then I wouldn't have to be so cautious.

Most people are honest!! When only €200 is involved I can't see why they wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

maidhc wrote:
    Most people are honest!! When only €200 is involved I can't see why they wouldn't be.
    And the fact that he only wants €200 tells me that he knows nothing about the condition of the engine.

If I had an engine to sell that I knew was in perfect order, I'd be wanting more than €200 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    If I had an engine to sell that I knew was in perfect order, I'd be wanting more than €200 for it.

Still, the market for elderly Honda engines is pretty small, he probably just wants it gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement