Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital 5.1 systems in the brave new HDCP World

• 03-01-2007 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a fairly powerful 500Watt 5.1 system with Dolby Digital etc. I don't use it much, as I have better speakers for listening to music. I am wondering whether I should flog this stuff ASAP.

What will happen when people are using HDCP e.g. HD DVD, Blu-Ray, other HiDef sources? Will this gear not be supported, or the digital signal be degraded so much as to be useless? Do these restrictions apply to audio part in the way they apply to video?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Dolby Digital isn't going away any time soon. They audio side of HD won't change much at all. There just may be a larger selection of audio. They will still be using DD and DTS.

I certainly wouldn't worry at all about your audio equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Paulw wrote:
    Dolby Digital isn't going away any time soon. They audio side of HD won't change much at all. There just may be a larger selection of audio. They will still be using DD and DTS.

I certainly wouldn't worry at all about your audio equipment.

Are you 100% sure? Do you just like to sound soothing? :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
    For example, High-definition digital video content must be restricted to DVD quality on non-HDCP compliant video outputs when requested by the source. DVD-Audio content is restricted to DAT quality on non-HDCP digital audio outputs (analog audio outputs have no quality limits).

What "DAT quality" means here is the question - does that mean no surround sound?
    If the quality is not as good when restricted as DVD, then that makes the Dolby reciever and amp part of my speakers obsolete, and I might want to sell them now before people wake up to this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

What "DAT quality" means here is the question - does that mean no surround sound?
    DAT is (or was) Digital Audio Tape and was used mainly in radio stations and the like. It was ok but minidiscs were better and have outlived it. It is digital but I don't know if it can carry 5 or 7 discreet signals as DD or DTS does, frankly I doubt it. I wouldn't go selling a system anytime soon... but if you're not using it very much maybe that's a good reason to sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sometimes I can't believe the crap that is posted on Wikipedia that is supposed to be fact.

Try browsing the Blu Ray and HD websites. Plenty of info there.

Also, http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdbasics/a/bluhddvdinfo.htm

Everywhere you look, you find DTS and DD listed as the standard audio formats.

Advertisement