Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WebCT - Down?

• 03-01-2007 12:54am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone having problems with WebCT? Trying to revise some stuff and I cant access my notes. Iv been able to access it all day but now when I login it says my user/pass is incorrect. Which it isnt. Any thoughts?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

Sully04 wrote:
    Hey,

Anyone having problems with WebCT? Trying to revise some stuff and I cant access my notes. Iv been able to access it all day but now when I login it says my user/pass is incorrect. Which it isn't. Any thoughts?!

Often got that message trying to log onto WebCT at home, some days worked other days my user/pass is incorrect. Its always worked for me in college. You'll have to log in college.

I am currently having an even worse time with WebCT and College email both Firefox + Internet Explorer cannot display webpage i think my problem is with my Zone Labs Firefall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I had that problem last night, but it was fine this morning!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

One of the college lad says that is the error message displayed when there is a server outage or if something goes wrong on webCT. A an hour after posting, webCT let me back in again.

WebCT needs a facelift, and proper error messages. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

With the many IT students and IT staff, you would think that they could have developed their own system instead of paying a few grand for WebCT, a system that I dislike. It often seems to have outages and problems during the summer, perhaps because the IT staff are spending that time to work on the network and servers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With the many IT students and IT staff, you would think that they could have developed their own system instead of paying a few grand for WebCT, a system that I dislike. It often seems to have outages and problems during the summer, perhaps because the IT staff are spending that time to work on the network and servers.

I thought WebCT was put together by WIT Staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

From what I understand, the content is put together by the lecturers, but the system is bought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Minto wrote:
    From what I understand, the content is put together by the lecturers, but the system is bought in.
    Yeah sure we have the same thing at CIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's fine for me.

Minto wrote:

Strange. We were told of the exact lecturer who put it together. :rolleyes:

Christ that college doesnt seem to know anything.

Thanks anyway all.

Well it could still be of your lecturers that made the system, doubtful but a possibility :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They used to use WebCT in ITB aswell. I think its rubbish myself. ITB have switched to Moodle. Which is better but still not great.

It is rubbish alright especially when you click back , it goes all wrong. The system isn't very browser friendly tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Moodle is Open Source as well, so it can be extended and modified so easily, and its free too. But WIT, like most colleges in this country wouldnt dream of using Open Source... its just too.. un-microsoft :rolleyes:

The other thing about WebCT is that it is so rigid in the browsers it supports, I am always getting errors when I use Firefox or Opera. At least Moodle is likly to be standards compliant, and so will work with all of them, not just IE.

I can tell you here and now, SNET, RedBrick and many other computing societies would not exist without Open Source.

Advertisement