Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Insurance

• 03-01-2007 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

It looks like I'll be buying a new Dell laptop this week and I was just wondering what my options are for insurance covering it against spills/breakages etc?

I can go for an extended service agreement with Dell, but it seems quite pricey. Are there private insurance companies in Ireland that would do insurance like that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

put it as a listed conetent of your house on your house insurance and your laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Passport wrote:
    put it as a listed conetent of your house on your house insurance and your laughing.

That only covers theft.. not actual breakage or damage etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

House insurance is fine but extended warranty is always a good idea. Someone I know wanted to send back a Fujitsu out of warranty to be checked - cost €90 BEFORE an engineer even looked at it.

is_that_so wrote:
    House insurance is fine but extended warranty is always a good idea. Someone I know wanted to send back a Fujitsu out of warranty to be checked - cost €90 BEFORE an engineer even looked at it.

I think I'll just get the extended 3yr warranty. Its about 100 extra but for peace of mind it might well be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

Trotter wrote:
    That only covers theft.. not actual breakage or damage etc.

Well i am getting 1300 for a laptop bought two years ago that we said was damadged due to a power surge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Trotter wrote:
    I think I'll just get the extended 3yr warranty. Its about 100 extra but for peace of mind it might well be worth it.

100 extra isn't bad for a 3 year warranty. Might want to look at business line as they generally include a 3 year warranty standard. When I got my laptop, the similarly priced Inspiron was more expensive than my Latitude when I added the 3 year warranty and the Inspiron had a worse graphics card aswell.

I'm really happy with my Latitude as I had an Inspiron before and I think the Latitude's are just better quality so I'd go with a Latitude if you can a similarly speced laptop for around the same price.

brim4brim wrote:
    100 extra isn't bad for a 3 year warranty. Might want to look at business line as they generally include a 3 year warranty standard. When I got my laptop, the similarly priced Inspiron was more expensive than my Latitude when I added the 3 year warranty and the Inspiron had a worse graphics card aswell.

I'm really happy with my Latitude as I had an Inspiron before and I think the Latitude's are just better quality so I'd go with a Latitude if you can a similarly speced laptop for around the same price.

Thanks for that, its worth a look!
    Passport wrote:
    Well i am getting 1300 for a laptop bought two years ago that we said was damadged due to a power surge!

Crikey, Im with Hibernia and they said my insurance just covered theft of the laptop outside of the house.. maybe it is covered for accidental damage IN the house seen as its listed.

I'll give them a buzz and see.

Advertisement