Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get back into Anime - any ideas?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I was a big Anime fan back in the nineties (or "Manga" as I used to call it:o ), but unfortunately I'm well out of touch. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a few titles along the the following lines:

Wicked City
    Fist of the North Star
    Urotksukidoji
    Vampire Hunter D
    Akira
    Doomed Megalopolis
    3x3 eyes
    Ninja Scroll
    Ghost in the Shell

I tend to like pretty serious stuff (anything dark or horror really).

Also, could you recommend an online store that I could get some of the stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Baggio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Definatly check out death note or atleast just sit down and watch the first episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Thanks mate... Will do:) . Anything else worth checking out?

Cheers,

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Full Metal Alchemist, one of the best series ever.

If you like Urotskidoji, might wanna try Elfen Lied. No sex, lots of nudity and blood.

GWolf wrote:
    Full Metal Alchemist, one of the best series ever.

If you like Urotskidoji, might wanna try Elfen Lied. No sex, lots of nudity and blood.

Thanks man...I always thought the whole sex thing was a a bit odd in "Urotskidoji", but I really liked the concept of the three worlds and the Chojin. Plus the Demons looked well cool - especially the arch villain.:D

Elfen Lied is pretty different, but it kinda keeps the same feel, to a degree. Plus has a MUCH better story. Can be kinda creepy at times(that poor puppy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Check out the Studio Ghibli films such as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Pom Poko, Grave Of The Fireflies and suchlike. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Berserk is definitely worth checking out
    Hellsing and Blood+ too

Check out the Studio Ghibli films such as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Pom Poko, Grave Of The Fireflies and suchlike. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Hey Karl,

I've got quite a bit of the Ghibli stuff - it's very cool indeed. I really like Prin. Mon. and Spirited Away.

I also saw steam boy recently. From a technical point of view it was amazing. But I thought the story was a bit meh:( (great idea but a lil' boring).

PS - how's the Line 6 going? :)
    tman wrote:
    Berserk is definitely worth checking out
    Hellsing and Blood+ too

I've not heard of Berserk. I saw one episode of Hellsing thought it was pretty cool. Is the "Blood+" your talking about, " Blood the last vampire"?

Thanks for all the advise guys,

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Baggio... wrote:
    I've not heard of Berserk. I saw one episode of Hellsing thought it was pretty cool. Is the "Blood+" your talking about, " Blood the last vampire"?

Thanks for all the advise,

B.
    Blood+ is a follow on series that continues the story of Saya from the last vampire. Well worth checking out.

There's some info on Berserk here... I'd say it's definitely worth checking out based on what you've mentioned liking so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Baggio... wrote:
    Hey y'all,

I was a big Anime fan back in the nineties (or "Manga" as I used to call it:o ), but unfortunately I'm well out of touch. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a few titles along the the following lines:

Wicked City
    Fist of the North Star
    Urotksukidoji
    Vampire Hunter D
    Akira
    Doomed Megalopolis
    3x3 eyes
    Ninja Scroll
    Ghost in the Shell

Thanks in advance,

Baggio.

Deff get your hands on lots of the Ghibli films. They're not exactly horror but the animation is superb. You'll love Princess Mononoke.

Why not check out the rest of the mid 90's Anime released by Manga Entertainment? I really love it i do. Dominion, A.D. Police, Angel Cop...etc etc. Great if you like the whole CyberPunk stuff.

Cowboy Bebop aint bad either.

Oh, however could I forget. Neon Genesis Evangelion is absolutely brilliant. Epic stuff. Probably my second favorite anime next to Akira.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Baggio... wrote:
    Hey Karl,

I've got quite a bit of the Ghibli stuff - it's very cool indeed. I really like Prin. Mon. and Spirited Away.

I also saw steam boy recently. From a technical point of view it was amazing. But I thought the story was a bit meh:( (great idea but a lil' boring).

PS - how's the Line 6 going? :)

Yeah, Steamboy's good, but nothing spectacular.

Line 6 is going great, but that's a question for another forum. ;)
    Baggio... wrote:

Thanks for all the advise guys,

B.

Berserk is excellent, and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I'd also second suggests of Hellsing, Blood+ and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Also, if you've not seen it, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It's better than the original Vampire Hunter D film, in my humble opinion.

Also, if you've not seen it, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It's better than the original Vampire Hunter D film, in my humble opinion.

Hey Karl,

I actually have not seen it yet. Another purchase for the weekend I think!:)

Cheers,

B.

Never liked Bloodlust myself. Hellsing, go for it, Alucard kicks ass.

If you want to try some of the lighter, more fun stuff, try Love Hina or Oh my goddess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Check out some of the more offbeat ones. Pom Poko is a bizarre but wonderful film, really worth watching. Laputa is also excellent, though not very dark. Any Ghibli really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Baggio... wrote:
    Hey y'all,

What is your primary method of viewing anime? Bought DVDs? Borrowed/Rented DVDs? TV? Import (US/Australia) DVDs? Pirated/Fansubbed?

A lot of people are recommending titles that are only available as downloads. I don't want to start a piracy argument here, but many people find fansubs (fan translated & fan distributed anime that is unavailable for purchase anywhere) an acceptable form of appreciation. Many titles are only available this way, often many of the best titles too. Also on the internet, fansubbed anime is what is considered 'current' in discussions.

It might be a good idea that you ask people to qualify their recommendations with their availability, like (IRL DVD), (US DVD), (fansub) etc.
    Baggio... wrote:

Blood+ (fansub), Elfen Lied (IRL DVD) all qualify. You should check out Gankutsuo - The count of Monte Cristo (US DVD), Saikano (IRL DVD), Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin OVA) (IRL DVD), FLAG (fansub), Zipang (US DVD/fansub)
    Baggio... wrote:

For purchases of local anime I tend to favour http://www.play.com. For imports (american) I use http://www.dvdpacific.com.

sharingan wrote:
    What is your primary method of viewing anime? Bought DVDs? Borrowed/Rented DVDs? TV? Import (US/Australia) DVDs? Pirated/Fansubbed?

Hey man,

Thanks for the info'...:)

I pretty much buy everything at the mo' - mainly from play or Amazon. I know what you mean about the whole piracy thing though, as some stuff is just not available to buy. But as I live in Kildare Broadband is not an option (thanks for that Eirscum:mad: ). I'm still on 56k....

I generally buy on line as I was saying. The stuff in town is sooo over priced.:( I was looking to get the original "Fist of the North Star" on DVD - mealy 165 sterling!:eek:

Cheers,

Baggio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Baggio... wrote:
    Hey man,

Thanks for the info'...:)

I pretty much buy everything at the mo' - mainly from play or Amazon. I know what you mean about the whole piracy thing though, as some stuff is just not available to buy. But as I live in Kildare Broadband is not an option (thanks for that Eirscum:mad: ). I'm still on 56k....

What part of kildare? Also I would second the deathnote suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

You can't go wrong with the best of Ghibli. By the way, Baggio, your name is like if Bilbo Baggins was an Italian footballer. Oh, that's silly!

BTW, Happy New Year all! Hope y'had a good Christmas, too!

What part of kildare? Also I would second the deathnote suggestion.

Hey BTB,

I'm down in Rathangan - about 10k from Kildare. I can't ever see an land line option arriving in the near future. I've had a look at some satellite options, far too expensive. $$$$$:( So I'm stuck on 56k (or 31.1k really). So fingers crossed and I might win the lottery...:)

Cheers,

R.
    Raziel wrote:
    By the way, Baggio, your name is like if Bilbo Baggins was an Italian footballer. Oh, that's silly!!

Aye, it comes from the Italian footballer. It's been with me since college (about 10 years now). I doubt it was given to me for my footie skills - as they are crapola. Prolly 'cause my first name is Robert and my mates loved football. :)

If your going to try fansubs, go to anime.fansubs.tv, they only host unlicensed, plus they have a list of animes they used to have that were licensed, so you can always research. Or get a multi region dvd player, and just import them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement