Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling UK imports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just because you are seeing them for 22k, doesn't mean they are selling.
    cars are not a way of making money for the average joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

To make any money from importing cars you need to first look at what cars people are buying in this country, bascially a 2 litre diesel Avensis will only appeal to either Taxi drivers or someone else doing very high milage so straight away you are probably looking at a potential market of at most 10% of drivers, from that most will be getting company cars or will need VAT receipts so will not buy private. You should look at something more popular like 1.4 Focus/Corolla or Golfs which you will sell alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    To make any money from importing cars you need to first look at what cars people are buying in this country, bascially a 2 litre diesel Avensis will only appeal to either Taxi drivers or someone else doing very high milage so straight away you are probably looking at a potential market of at most 10% of drivers, from that most will be getting company cars or will need VAT receipts so will not buy private. You should look at something more popular like 1.4 Focus/Corolla or Golfs which you will sell alot easier.

They will but they wont make the OP rich, less margin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

One of the guys I work with has brought many cars over from the UK last year amd had little trouble selling them. All have been family size/executive cars and sold them with all quickly. Off the top of my head he has brought in 3 Honda Accords (2lt petrol, 2 old shape, 1 current model), 3 Audi A6 (1.9TDI), Volvo S60, BMW E46 1.9 coupe. All have been sold with margin of around €1500 to €2000.
    Nice earner if you have the time to find the right car and fly over and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AndyWarhol wrote:
    Hi,

I've picked out a 2005 Toyota Avensis D4D (diesel) for STG10k.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=TOYOTA&min_pr=9000&source=0&model=AVENSIS&max_pr=&agerange=7&mileage=&miles=1500&trim=&keywords=d4d&postcode=cb4+0ws&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=1&distance=78&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200701264659619

I've got E20k in the bank which I was going to put into the FTSE, but I'm thinking I might put it into toyota Avensis's for 6 months.

car = E15k
    VRT = E4,500k
    Expenses = E500 (I've an open-drive insurance policy which applies to UK cars too)

Does a selling price of E22k sound realistic? I see Avensis D4D cars on carzone.ie for a minimum of E22k.

How abundant is the purchasing of second-hand cars privately via carzone.ie? I'm not sure if people would part with large sums so easily without having a dealers warranty?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions people may have. I'm sure that there are a huge number of guys out there doing what I'm thinking of doing already.

Thanks,

Andy

You may not get €22k for it as these are asking prices, not selling prices. Saying that, Avensis D4-D models are usually pretty easy to sell here and the manufacturer is obliged under EU law to honor the remainder of the warranty as normal irrespective of whether the car is in the UK or Ireland. In this case a 2005 Avensis will still have up to 12 months warranty left. I would try and find the cleanest highest spec models possible with reasonable mileage as these will sell the easiest.

You may find that you have to sell a few at a time before making much money from the venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

ongarite wrote:
    One of the guys I work with has brought many cars over from the UK last year amd had little trouble selling them. All have been family size/executive cars and sold them with all quickly.

Does he clear them (register and pay vrt) before selling them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

jamfer wrote:
    Does he clear them (register and pay vrt) before selling them on?

Yes VRT paid within 48hrs and registered on Irish plates. He gets the cars from Leeds and Cardiff I believe. Nearly all the cars he gets are >3 yr old ex-company cars that are being sold on the cheap with FSH.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How do you work out the VRT,according to The Revenue Website it would be €1410.Am I missing something...?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dub13 wrote:
    How do you work out the VRT,according to The Revenue Website it would be €1410.Am I missing something...?

How do you figure? The OMSP of the car here is going to be around 20 -25k so 30% of even 20k is €6k.

Plus how did you check, the vrt site only works mon-fri before around 8.

I have not got a clue about VRT,that was an old link that was sent to me a while ago.I taught it was as simple as just type in the engine size and registration date and up pops the VRT amount.

• Advertisement

I think the problem was I was using a motorbike VRT calculator.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ongarite wrote:
    One of the guys I work with has brought many cars over from the UK last year amd had little trouble selling them. All have been family size/executive cars and sold them with all quickly. Off the top of my head he has brought in 3 Honda Accords (2lt petrol, 2 old shape, 1 current model), 3 Audi A6 (1.9TDI), Volvo S60, BMW E46 1.9 coupe. All have been sold with margin of around €1500 to €2000.
    Nice earner if you have the time to find the right car and fly over and collect it.

I think that guy might live up the road from me, is he also in D15? :) Sounds like the cars I've seen over the past couple of years outside his house. I always thought to myself "fair play" to him as the cars don't seem to be around for long i.e. he seems to shift them quick enough.

Advertisement