Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting on weight?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

So my mother desperately wants my sister to give up smoking because of the history in my family but she told me on the quiet that she definetely wont give em up because of the fear of putting on weight.

Do people always put on weight and if they do,do they lose it again?

She does exercise a nice bit wouldnt that help while she was giving them up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Any time I've given them up in the past I actually lost weight, but thats because I used the increased stamina to exercise more. Usually when I give up smoking I have to take up something else to occupy myself and save me from going crazy. Usually weights and cycling are my saviour and combined with drinking plenty of water my energy levels double and my weight drops. Boredom is what will be her biggest enemy because as soon as I slacked off on the training I went back onto the ciggys each time.

Going to give it another go in a week or two, hopefully stick to it this time as I've gone back on the ciggys after my previous attempts. Just make sure she doesn't substitute ciggys for snacks. very easy to do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

There's no reason why she should put on much weight as long as she keeps up the exercise and doesn't succumb to too much snacking. I put on quite a bit when I quit almost a year ago, but that's because I allowed myself to eat uncontrollably when I had cravings and I was bloody lazy about exercising (i.e. I did practically none). I'm working on fixing that now though and the tendency to pig out too much has now passed along with the cravings.

What I would say is that she shouldn't be too hard on herself if she does end up putting on a few pounds in the beginning because she'll find it easier in time to control snack urges and, as clown bag found, she may well have more stamina for exercising and want to distract herself by doing more than before. It’s really a question of convincing her that even if she does end up gaining a little weight she can lose it again and it’s small price to pay, especially if she’s avoiding serious health problems later on. Give her lots of other appearance/body related positives to focus on too, like the fact her skin will look and feel amazing after only a short while and she’ll smell lovely etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I didnt gain any weight - in fact like the previous poster i lost some. As long as she doesnt substiutute cigs for crisps / chocolate she should be grand. What i did was eat my favourite vegetable anytime i wanted a smoke (carrot) or i felt like picking. I know its pretty boring but it worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

When I stopped I did put on a lot of weight, but like a poster above, I've a tendency to be a bit of a lazy fecker, and that had a lot to do with it as well. I'm now on the path to losing that weight, and happy all round.

Recently, a friend of mine asked me "If you knew how much weight you would gain, would you have given up the smokes" To which my prompt reply was "yes, most definitely". I am too heavy now, but I can work on that with diet and exercise, but at least when I do that exercise, I can now breath without any problems. This used to be a big problem for me when I went to the gym as a smoker. Taking a big deep breath and not hearing that weird wobbly noise at the end of it is so satisfying and well worth the potential weight gain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

dvega wrote:
    she told me on the quiet that she definetely wont give em up because of the fear of putting on weight.

Thats a strange one. Why doesn't she have a fear of slowly killing herself each and every time she lights up a cigarette??

Every time I have heard this argument I have had to take a step back from the person saying it to me, to see if they are actually insane.

There are no excuses for anyone to be smoking or at least not be trying to give them up, other than insanity. Putting on weight is just another stupid excuse, along with all the others, for not stopping.

If you don't want to put on weight then eat healthily and exercise. Stopping smoking is not going to make you fat. Eating crap and sitting around feeling sorry for yourself is.

If someone truthfully told you that rat poison WILL kill you if eat it, would you do it?? Yea right :)
    If I tell you truthfully that smoking WILL kill you if you continue, why do you continue to do it??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

Well this might sound strange but ask her would putting on weight after quiting be such a bad thing? Think about it for a moment..... Ok, so worst case scenario
    she puts on a few pounds, and she is left with a craving for nicotine. So what you do is channel that into losing the weight make it your main focus for the period and I promise she won't think about smoking at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

It a total myth! I gave up smoking & lost weight!!
    More ******, fitter - going for a walk is a great way to not think about your cravings when giving up, or going to the gym!!
    Absolutely no way should putting on weight become a deterent to giving up, because its just not going to happen unless you change your eating habits!!!!!
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

more ox gen...
    how was that deserve to be "starred" out ****?

<see warning at top of every forum and learn how to spell. :) >
    Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

she could try hypnosis to quit smoking, tell him about your fear of putting on weight, should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

that actually works, costs a bit though but a girl i know used to smoke every time she had a break but after she had it done she didnt touch them again or feel she needed to, think it costs about 200-300 but its worth it in the end you'll just end up spendin a lot more of that on cigarettes anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nan

dvega wrote:
    ....she definetely wont give em up because of the fear of putting on weight.

For me too, this was a great fear and no amount of 'you can always take it off later' or 'it's better to gain a few lbs than to keep smoking' was helpful advice. Of course it's true, I knew that, but it didn't do a thing to alleviate my fear.

Neither did my neighbours, two women just turned 60 as I am too, who stopped smoking and gained so much weight that it scared me every time I met them in the street. I most assuredly didn't want to look like that - ever.

I stopped smoking the first week in Jan. '07, and I have not gained any weight. My neighbours have noticed that I have not gained weight and when asked why they did, replied that they ate everything in sight. Of course they got fat - who wouldn't?

I too believed the tall tales of unavoidable weight gain, but it's easy to avoid any weight gain. Had I known how easy, I would have stopped smoking a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Ballyman wrote:
    Thats a strange one. Why doesn't she have a fear of slowly killing herself each and every time she lights up a cigarette??

Every time I have heard this argument I have had to take a step back from the person saying it to me, to see if they are actually insane.

There are no excuses for anyone to be smoking or at least not be trying to give them up, other than insanity. Putting on weight is just another stupid excuse, along with all the others, for not stopping.

If you don't want to put on weight then eat healthily and exercise. Stopping smoking is not going to make you fat. Eating crap and sitting around feeling sorry for yourself is.

If someone truthfully told you that rat poison WILL kill you if eat it, would you do it?? Yea right :)
    If I tell you truthfully that smoking WILL kill you if you continue, why do you continue to do it??:rolleyes:

The reason for these excuses is indeed insanity. Addiction is a form of insanity and almost all the things we become addicted to are bad for us whether its food or sex or whatever, sex addiction is horrendous as it forces you to go to the most amazing lenghts to get laid. I cant think of any addiction thats good for me. The biggest worry I have on this forum is seing people being told not to get to pissed for a while if your having trouble stopping smoking, the idea that going on the jar is alright is all wrong and the state I see the people in is quite amazing. Every other country I go to with the exception of fishing villages and remote Greek villages have very few drunken bouzies floating around. Irelands addiction problems are at epedimic proportions and every one is looking for the next party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I lost weight the first week off the evil fags!

I used the Allen Carr book and didn't have to to substitute my psychological addiction to smoking with food.

Get her the book!!! :D

If you eat more and don't exercise, you'll put on weight.
    It's really that simple.

I lost weight after quitting the cigs because I took up running and martial arts. Never been as fit or slim as I am now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

more ox gen...
    how was that deserve to be "starred" out ****?

It is hosted by <see warning at top of every forum>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

get the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I quit 9 months ago (well tomorrow) and ya i put on weight but i think its all down to the way you deal with your cravings. I went cold turkey so used food as a replacement and barely left the house for a week in case id go buy cigarettes! I put on a stone and a half BUT now ive got curves now and im sooooo much happier...so its all good.

I dont know but id guess if u used nicotine replacement therapy, youd be less likely to put on weight. But no matter how much weight you put on, you cant beat the pride of knowing u kicked the habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dan719 wrote:
    It is hosted by <see warning at top of every forum>
    It's also properly spelt with a "Y".
    Oxygen. See?

Advertisement