Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuter Rail in to Limerick

• 03-01-2007 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

There's been various reports that the Ennis-Sixmilebridge-Limerick line and the Nenagh-Castleconnell-Limerick are due to opened in 2008. One is part of the Western Rail Corridor, not sure what the other falls under. Is there anywhere I can read up on what type of service to expect from these lines, will in be one train a week or one train a day etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Well, just in case you aren't aware - the Ennis line already has roughly eight trains a day operating each way to Limerick - majority connecting to Dublin at Limerick (Limk-Dub direct) or Limerick Junction (Cork-Dub). There are persistent rumours of stations at Sixmilebridge and/or Cratloe. Personally I think they should have one near Parkway/Childers Road in the city too.

The Nenagh line is also open - barely - something like three services a day each way, not at useful times.

The Nenagh line service should be increased - but there's probably greater Limerick commuter traffic potential on the line not open to passenger traffic - the Foynes line. This could serve Rathkeale, Adare, Patrickswell, Raheen Ind Estate and Dooradoyle; if services connected with those on the Ennis line, you'd have even more traffic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Zoney, while I think it would be a fantastic idea to open the foynes line, I seriously doubt the RPA would be willing to spend what it would take to reopen it. all the existing station house have either been sold as private homes, or have been knocked. Apart from the section still in use by Irish cement, I don't think the lines are safe enough for traffic, even a light commuter train. Then all the existing crossing would need to be automated, and there could be more than a 100 of those.

2 Espressi wrote:
    Apart from the section still in use by Irish cement

That's an entirely seperate line - the Mungret line. It runs parallel to the Foynes line from the Station to just past the Greenfields road. In fact - it's the Mungret line (the one still in use) that is a real tramway.

The Foynes line would indeed need new stations - although unmanned ones with cheap and cheerful platforms could be built - but car parking would be a serious cost, and there's need for facilities like lifts on the passenger bridges. The existing stations being closed is probably a bonus as upgrading them would probably be more costly than new stations. However - you don't get something for nothing - the main bonus is that the alignment is still there - and it isn't remotely as bad as you suggest for much of the route - it would not need complete rebuilding. You can observe it yourself parallel to the N20 dual carriageway - this section to Patrickswell seems to be in good nick - although the bit parallel to the Mungret line looks poor (probably because only slow trains through the urban area had to be accommodated). I don't know that there are any level crossings in use for the section parallel to the N20 dual carriageway or N21 to Adare. There are ones in the city at Greenfields Road and Childers Road. 2 is a lot less that 100 - and I doubt there are 98 between Adare and Rathkeale!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the only way to get Foynes reopened in my opinion would be if SFPC had a gun put to their head saying you can only close Limerick Port and consolidate ops in Foynes if you pay IE what they're looking for to reopen the line to traffic. Get Patrickswell and Adare developers to fund the stations (but no further, given the switchback nature of the Foynes line I can't see any advantage to running commuter beyond there) and get some more cascaded railcars going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I hope they connect the limerick-ennis line to shannon airport any update on those plans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

From a Q&A on the Iarnroid Eireann site:
    Conor, you’ll be pleased to know a new station at Sixmilebridge has been approved under the Western Rail Corridor plans. We expect it to be open in 2008. We’ve commissioned a feasibility study to examine the possibility of a rail link to Shannon Airport, and we expect it to be completed early in the New Year.

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=216

The 2007 timetable has fewk all if you're a commuter from Tipperary towns to Limerick. There's an 0635 ex Waterford to Limerick Junction arriving at 0817 to connect to the Heuston service departing LJ at 0829. Well, that's just Oxo I hear you say, head on from LJ and be in Limerick for 0845. You'd think, wouldn't you?

Instead passengers wait 30 minutes in LJ for the Dublin-bound 0829 and the Cork bound 0847. I can't see why a service can't be dispatched from Limerick to bring passengers to the 0829/0847 and wait while the Waterford continues to Limerick.

However, this would be dangerous since with no 30 minutes of hanging around at Limerick Junction, South Tipperary people might start thinking of using the service! With an inbound passing Pallasgreen with a fighting chance of being in downtown Limerick before 9am people there might get Park and Ride station notions! Houses might spring up even faster around the Junction! People might wonder why there isn't more double track between LJ and Limerick and why it takes 28 minutes to go 22 miles (47mph) over pretty flat countryside!

As for North Tipperary commuters, the timetable remains @rse backwards and the speed makes the Limerick Junction line look lightning quick. You can, if you have a very long day, commute from Limerick to Nenagh (26 miles) or Roscrea (46 miles) at 30 mph both there (0700>0752>0827) and back (1900>1954>2045) but damn all chance of doing anything but a bit of shopping if you're heading to Limerick (1027>1102>1155) (1640>1732>1826).

It is ridiculous that a train with no traffic to contend with takes 52 minutes to go from Limerick to Nenagh when a bus takes 40. It takes 86 minutes to Roscrea, the bus takes 70. As the N7 continues to be upgraded this differential is only likely to get worse.

Better that IE close the line and give people from Birdhill northward bus tickets to make connections to Ennis and Dublin on that stretch than continue such a joke service. This would force a decision on the politicians whether to fund IE to spend the money on providing a real service, increasing line speed to 50mph or better yet 75mph, providing appropriate turnbacks and signalling and building a direct curve so that "Ballybrophy" services become Portlaoise services and deleting a station from the Cork-Dublin line whose catchment can be served from Borris-in-Ossory and Templemore.

As for Ennis - 24.2 miles, 40 minutes by rail. If trains are going to be stopping at Sixmilebridge too that's going to have to improve especially if the Tunnel and the Ennis bypass make an impact on traffic congestion. It's time Clare, the Limerick Councils and the Tipperary Councils formed a WRC like group to upgrade the existing three Limerick lines and put forward a case (and money) for the fourth.

dowlingm:

The problem with any sensible planning around Limerick is the absurd situation where Limerick City Council are responsible for under half the city; and Limerick County Council (and to a small degree, Clare County Council) are responsible for the rest.

It's quite simply disasterous for the city that the most recent attempt at a boundary extension was quashed.

Limerick City Council can barely afford to do anything, nevermind invest time and presumably money in working towards better rail services for the city. The council approved a new shopping development on Limerick's car park (the Childers Road) in exchange for an inadequate upgrade of the road, and the rate-earning lifeline the retail park provides. Planning didn't even come in to it for pragmatic reasons.

seems to me that all the city has to do is drop scangers into LCC territory, have them run riot and LCC will hand it over voluntarily :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

There is a 4:45 pm rail service to Nenagh from Limerick. Is there any plans to introduce rail services from Nenagh in the morning for people going to work in Limerick? I read from the Irish Railway news website that from the survey they carried out, people would use the train if there was better services to Limerick.

• Advertisement

tadgh17 - a lot of shifty promises of stuff for Nenagh when newer stock displaces Dublin railcars to Limerick. With the P&G announcement the need for commuting to Limerick will be even greater soon I fear.

Advertisement