Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07D Reg plates

Options
  • 03-01-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

I'd seen 3 07D (up to 17XX already) plates by the time I got home last night, some horrendous honda box on wheels, a debadged 3 series (was 316 or 318 judging by the single exhaust) and an A4 saloon.

So...by some completely unscientific extrapolation, 2/3 of all cars sold in Ireland this year will be high-end marques :)

What's the highest D plate you've seen so far?

(Apologies to non-Dublin boardsies!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

07 D 27**, In Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I haven't seen any 07 plates yet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I didn't even have to get out of bed yesterday to see the first 07D plated car - my neigbour's new Saab 9-3

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

07D34** - a nice shiny new BMW 335 CI!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Two new Passats, one in the 700's and the other in the thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Most of the low numbers at the start of the year are higher end cars - people who change their car every couple of years as a status symbol, in a lot of cases they'll have had the car in the dealers for a month or 2 and are just waiting for the 07 reg plate before driving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I saw a 07 D 23XX Astra coupe on the Lucan Road last night around 7pm. What stuck in my mind was not the nice looking motor, nor the nice blonde driving it but the fact that she obviously hadn't taken the time to learn how to use the lights (which were off), the wipers (even though it was raining) or the ventillation system as her windows were fogging up.

Why spend 25 grand on a car and then not take the time to learn what all those funny buttons and controls are for?????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

micmclo wrote:
    I realise this wasn't in Dublin but when I was in North Tipp over Christmas I know of two new cars that were on the road for the week before Jan 1st and had no number plates.

Now I'm sure there were only driving around the village and wouldn't be stupid enough to go onto the main roads but it suprised me.
    You probably wouldn't get away with this in Dublin, only rural areas

A garage is not supposed to leave a new car which is sold, off the forecourt without registration plates.

Are you sure that the cars were not just being taken for a short test drive by potential buyers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

bazz26 wrote:
    Are you sure that the cars were not just being taken for a short test drive by potential buyers?

This is possible as there a dealer nearby.
    It's just my Dad said people often did this in the past so I assumed that's what was happening
    I'll delete my post

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

micmclo wrote:
    This is possible as there a dealer nearby.
    It's just my Dad said people often did this in the past so I assumed that's what was happening
    I'll delete my post

You used to be able to drive off the forecourt years ago without registering your car straight away. It was left up to the car owner to contact the motor tax office or something. My old man bought a new Fiesta back in November 1981 but did not register it until Jan 1982. :eek:

You cannot do that anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, I remember this being very common practice round my area when I was growing up. I specifically remember a couple of my neighbours buying new cars in August/Sept 1987 and not registering them till january 1988!
    In fact it could still be done as late as 1991, my father had "for reg" on his car for a while that year... it was outlawed in 1992 or '93 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Dublin reg numbers were over 7000 by 2pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Saw a Volvo XC90 passing Naas exit on N7 this evening (07 D 90)
    Also saw an E class 2 mins later 07 KE 72*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JoeA3 wrote:
    Yeah, I remember this being very common practice round my area when I was growing up. I specifically remember a couple of my neighbours buying new cars in August/Sept 1987 and not registering them till january 1988!
    In fact it could still be done as late as 1991, my father had "for reg" on his car for a while that year... it was outlawed in 1992 or '93 I think.

...try 1987!

I know, I bought a bike in Sept and had a 'For Reg' plate made up for it, and rode it 'til January, hoping to get 80 G 1. Missed it by 1, though, and ended up with 80 G 2............ah, them were the days............when yer insurance cost more than the bike (IEP436 and the bike IEP400..........)........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

saw 07 D 3 in Galway yeaterday round 11am...Black 3 series BMW no less, being driven by a guy with a huge grin !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Saw my first 07 today too. Twas an aquaintance who brought the car down to me for a look see as I have one on order too. He knew I'd love to see it and he wasn't wrong. A 'sexy as' new audi TT. Him getting his car means mines not far behind. I can almost smell it!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

The reg 'no' does not represent the amount of cars sold at all. A lot of registrations were reserved.

I sold a car today with reg 07 D 79. That was available and according to the revenue there is still a load of 2 digit reg's left.

07 d 007 has been taken already though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

07-D-666 Black Bentley...:( The Credit Union had nowt to do with this baby !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cooper_man wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest lads, is it strictly legal to prefix a number with zeros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

cooper_man wrote:

Do you not have to use just 07 D 7 ? Anyway 007 on a nice car ruins it, You look like an absolute wally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Stephen wrote:
    I haven't seen any 07 plates yet at all.
    We live in kilkenny, what would you expect:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

On 2nd Jan, a red SEAT Cordoba, 07 MH ***** picking up someone from the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

joker77 wrote:
    Most of the low numbers at the start of the year are higher end cars - people who change their car every couple of years as a status symbol, in a lot of cases they'll have had the car in the dealers for a month or 2 and are just waiting for the 07 reg plate before driving it!

Or maybe people with a bit of cop on who don't want to lose a year's depreciation on their car in two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

positron wrote:
    On 2nd Jan, a red SEAT Cordoba, 07 MH ***** picking up someone from the train station.

I don't think Meath is up to 5 digit numbers just yet....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

A new Freelander 07-D-98** in Templeogue today, by Tymon Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Damn, my new yoke is due Jan 15th... I thought I'd be getting something like a 5000 reg, but it looks like it will be well over 10000!!!
    I was gonna book 07-D-666..... but was told if more than 1 application is received, its a lottery, and the loser(s) dont get a similar reg, like 07-D-1666 or anything, so I didnt bother.

Advertisement