Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so hard to find unfurnished accommodation?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I looking for a 2 bed house or apartment around the east of Galway city or preferably Oranmore, and struggling to find anything unfurnished, I really don't want to have to put all my stuff in storage.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its normal to have furnished/semi furnished in Ireland not like funny foreign places .

Put their stuff in storage instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

just ask the landlord to take their 1970s sofa, black and white telly and urine-encrusted beds away

or burn them for heat and tell him you did him a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Traditionally, in Ireland, rental is not seen as a long term option so few people want to buy furniture and stuff for a place that they don't expect to stay in too long before they move into their "own" place that they buy.

The demand side of the market, thus, in general, expects rental accommodation to be furnished.

If rental were seen as a more long term option and if there was more long term protection for tenants in terms of security of tenure then the market might swing a little and more unfurnished properties might become available. For the moment though, I wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Calina wrote:
    If rental were seen as a more long term option and if there was more long term protection for tenants in terms of security of tenure then the market might swing a little and more unfurnished properties might become available.

Ironically, IIRC, this is indeed the reason there are so few unfurnished properties. Basicly, if the tenant furnishes the property they were entitled to more security of tenure. Landlords didn't want this, resulting in the situation today where 99% of property is rented furnished, in order to avoid giving tenants rights.

Advertisement