Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Custom Plates?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

How easy is it to get custom plates in Ireland? e.g. a specific number like the plates the radio station cars have... 04-D-1038 etc.

(did a search on the board but couldn't find this answered already).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's too late for 07 now anyway AFAIK. October's the time really if you want something in particular. You could be lucky though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Do you just need the plate made up say for offroad use?

ninty9er wrote:
    It's too late for 07 now anyway AFAIK. October's the time really if you want something in particular. You could be lucky though

November is when you can get a plate for the next year.

You will find 07 D 22222, 07 D 7777, 33333, 20000, 50000 etc will be gone but if you want something unique it will more than likely be there.

Don't forget you cannot bring the car on the road until your number has been reached amongst the normal numbers.

So if you reserve 07 D 58000 for example.. don't expect to be able to drive your car til late June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The Reg Dept in Rosslare, hold back all the numbers which they think have curb appeal in each individual county. Therefore, you could find that some numbers have been skipped - this is probably only really likely to happen in certain provincial counties, due to lower levels of demand.

So a used import from say the UK, could still get a low or catchy number, several years later.

MarkN is going to try this fairly soon by the looks of things, with his new S3 ... 07-D-153 to 07 D1 53 ... Should get pressed metal plates ... plastic ones let the car down. Lovely colour. I saw it on a TT in the UK a good while back, thought it was a deadly shade. Yet most people opt for boring old silver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

TomMc wrote:
    .. Should get pressed metal plates ... plastic ones let the car down.
    Those metal things are horrible. Every old thing has them. Plastic all the way, with the right font, of course...

Out of the last 7 cars I've had, only two have come with plastic plates so new ones must still be using them too! ;)

I prefer metal ones myself, don't see either type being 'old' however.

cast_iron wrote:
    Those metal things are horrible. Every old thing has them. Plastic all the way, with the right font, of course...
    Quality pressed metal plates are proper etiquette for any expensive car or discriminating petrolhead.;)

Plastic ones are for the great unwashed, who do not know any better.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Thanks for the help and advice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

TomMc wrote:
    Quality pressed metal plates are proper etiquette for any expensive car or discriminating petrolhead.;)

Plastic ones are for the great unwashed, who do not know any better.:rolleyes:

Couldnt agree more!!!!

I always put pressed (i.e. embossed) plates on my cars.
    (Windsor Motors make them (properly... i.e. even gaps between digits) for €20)

N.B. Don't get embossed plates mixed up with the (Crap) metal plates made by hand by some garages and motor factors.

Embossed plates are made from a single sheet of metal using a machine. 'Crap' plates are made by hand using two sheets of metal pressed together....which usualy fall apart after a couple of years (see pics).

Most countries (rightly) use embossed metal plates....Irl and the UK are one of the few countries which use plastic plates.

On the topic of plates.....
    Has anybody ever come across plastic protector covers for metal plates?
    These are very popular in Australia and NZ.

N.B. 'plate protectors' ....NOT stupid "speed camera avoidance" covers :D

• Advertisement

I have never seen any (full) plate protectors on my travels via the web.

I just use normal plate frames to protect the edges, have a friend who puts a special sealant over the metal plate itself - this stops insects, flies & tar baking on to the surface - so cleaning is easy and I don't have to worry about wearing down the black text, from frequent washing.

Advertisement