Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC News: Rural broadband makes huge impact

Options
  • 03-01-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

BBC News Article on UK rural broadband
    BT initially refused to install a bigger exchange because it was not "economically viable" as the previous exchange was put in before broadband was invented.

The village of Ashbury has about 200 households on the Wiltshire/ Oxfordshire border.
    It took two years for residents of the Oxfordshire village of Ashbury, near Swindon, to raise the £35,000 needed for BT to install a broadband exchange.

Sounds familiar doesn't it. Thought it might be of interest to you folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

"Before [when using dial-up] I used to dread relatives sending pictures of their children to me as it took about 45 minutes to download the images. It was impossible."

I know exactly how he felt. Until I bought my laptop, explaining to my friends and relatives why I didn't want them to send photos was real pain in the head. Not to mention how back ward it made Ireland out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its sad that rural areas are the last to get broadband given it actually makes the most difference to people without easy access to hotspots or decent Internet connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

so £35,000 is needed in the UK thats in or about €55,000 and knowing ireland we can raise that to €60,000 id imagine a lot of towns would find it very hard to come up with that kind of money
    and im sure eircom wouldnt take any chances

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

€60 for 1000 people each to get BB? A bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Which is probably why eircom upgrades those exchanges...

• Advertisement
Advertisement