Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone vouch for Outdoor Hobby

Options
  • 03-01-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Am new to shooting and a new member of the midlands was looking at buying a pistol from outdoor hobby and they seem really nice a hammerli sp, which would have to be ordered, I have been told Outdoor Hobby can be very unreliable but their price is good and some of the advice might be from people with a vested interest elsewhere. Any advice would be really appreciated as I cannot afford to be stung.

Kindest Regards

Jose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

NoWayJose wrote:
    Am new to shooting and a new member of the midlands was looking at buying a pistol from outdoor hobby and they seem really nice a hammerli sp, which would have to be ordered, I have been told Outdoor Hobby can be very unreliable but their price is good and some of the advice might be from people with a vested interest elsewhere. Any advice would be really appreciated as I cannot afford to be stung.

Cant comment on outdoor, but if you talk to some of the other pistol shooters on any sunday at the range you will a get a lot of information from people from all over the country. any of them that i know are themselves after the best deal. come down and ask questions we 're a friendly lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I've only had one dealing with them, 1st and last.
    Paid in full for pistol, was told I'd have a serial number in a few days, they would contact me, then gun with in 10 days of licence etc..
    Rang after two weeks and got "oh yeah, I've a serial number for you".
    Arrived in with paperwork, 3 months of hastling them, story changed constantly...its in the post etc.
    Finally called in to them and said I wanted to see their paperwork as I was responsible for a importing a firearm which they were claiming was missing.
    Finally it arrived just over 3 months of calls.
    I can understand delays, but they were just dishonest from the beginning, never called back as promised etc.

<mod snip>

Dfaf's right, ask around in any club or range, they'll point you in the right direction, with so few dealer in Ireland word spreads fast...(p.s. his prices advertised are usually without extra delivery charge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kye

Must admit had a rough time getting my gun same story as mcguiver.
    <mod snip>

Advice from shooters in your club is usually a great source of information, take a little time to check out what your after ie only fools rush in!

Best of luck with your new gun and safe shooting.

Regards

Kye

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Be careful what you say here folks, even if it is implied:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Very pleasent, and helpful no problems. they are moving to a new store soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ted2

Having problems with them at the moment where are they moving to. Been waiting for 14 weeks for delivery licence etc sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

I dealt with them last year and found them both to be very helpful....no probs.
    Where are they moving to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

macnas wrote:
    Be careful what you say here folks, even if it is implied:(

Sod that.Dealerships are supposed to provide a service thats prompt,efficient and pleasant.If they fail in any respect then they are failing thier customers and other potential customers should be warned,maybe then they'll sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Degsy wrote:
    Sod that.Dealerships are supposed to provide a service thats prompt,efficient and pleasant.If they fail in any respect then they are failing thier customers and other potential customers should be warned,maybe then they'll sort themselves out.
    Yes, but there's a line between relating the facts of what happened to you personally (be they good or bad) and making more sweeping statements. The former is good and useful to others and encouraged; the latter is grounds for a libel suit, which has to be taken against boards.ie rather than the individual poster, which would not be a good thing for us.

For instance, above:
    've only had one dealing with them, 1st and last.
    Paid in full for pistol, was told I'd have a serial number in a few days, they would contact me, then gun with in 10 days of licence etc..
    Rang after two weeks and got "oh yeah, I've a serial number for you".
    Arrived in with paperwork, 3 months of hastling them, story changed constantly...its in the post etc.
    Finally called in to them and said I wanted to see their paperwork as I was responsible for a importing a firearm which they were claiming was missing.
    Finally it arrived just over 3 months of calls.
    I can understand delays,
    Up to this point, this is perfectly fine. but this bit:
    they were just dishonest from the beginning
    would be right on the line. I'm not sure if they're tipping over it or not, so I didn't edit them out, but they are right on the line.

I see where your coming from Sparks, and totally agree. If any of those comments could be seen as detrimental to boards.ie please feel free to edit/remove.

"they were just dishonest from the beginning"... is too vague, I should have said something like.... "on the 20+ times the company told me they would call me they didnt."

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Hi Folks,

New to the Boards, Slightly off topic but I have been researching the cost of Ammo, 9mm ammo here appears to be about twice the price of the stuff available in the states. We also don't appear to have much choice re Quallity Etc. Do you think this situation will improve/change as the sport gets more esteblished. ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I would say things will get better as more demand for ammo and choice increases as, hopefully, the sport of target shooting will get more widespread. We will never have either the choice or pricing of ammo they do in the states due to the smaller population and numbers in the sport in this country however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Price of gun wil be at least twice as much but the worst is the wait for your licences which can be up to 8 months with some cases exceeding that by a year in one instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 40 Watt

I have been stepping in and out of the shooting forum for about a year now just for a look around when time permitted. When I saw the query raised about a Outdoor Hobby I felt compelled to join in order to let you know my experiences. Having met George out shooting and then reading an article in one of the magazines I took myself down to purchase a new Steyr 6.5x55, and trade in a Brno .243. <mod snip> Deal done, money changes hands and I sit back to wait for the call with the new serial number. New season was 16 weeks away and I fell asleep at night dreaming of a synthetic stock. I got a bit suspicious after four weeks and called. It will be here next week <mod snip> then the week after, then the week after, then the week after. <mod snip> I paid a friendly visit. He assured me the rifle was ordered and serial number would be ready Tuesday. Two weeks later I did actually get a number. Then begain the saga of waiting for the import license. Again after calling him a respectable number of times I paid a visit. He swore the licence application had been despatched earleir that week to the Dept. [Mod Edit]with I suggested we look for the copy of the fax he sent. Much rummaging and not a sign of anything. I left after politely explaining I wanted my new gun.(this is three weeks into the deer stalking season so I am unamused but can spot that shouting <mod snip> is pointless) I ring him during the week to be told the UK company must have sold my gun to someone else and we have to begin the process again.
    End result I end up with the steyr.243 he has had sitting in the shop all the time. Either that or I started back on the road to apoplexy.
    I realise there are limited numbers of gunshops around but my personal experience with this place was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Never had any dealings with Outdoor Hobby apart from buying ammo, was going to order a new stalking rifle last August for the deer season, glad I didn't!

On the other hand, I have bought a few from Paul O'Halloran in Kilkenny, can wholeheartedly recommend him. He will have your serial no. in a few days, that is if he doesn't have the required Calibre/model in stock. Also his prices I have found to be the best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

40 Watt wrote:
    I have been stepping in and out of the shooting forum for about a year now just for a look around when time permitted. When I saw the query raised about a Outdoor Hobby I felt compelled to join in order to let you know my experiences. Having met George out shooting and then reading an article in one of the magazines I took myself down to purchase a new Steyr 6.5x55, and trade in a Brno .243. <mod snip> Deal done, money changes hands and I sit back to wait for the call with the new serial number. New season was 16 weeks away and I fell asleep at night dreaming of a synthetic stock. I got a bit suspicious after four weeks and called. It will be here next week <mod snip> then the week after, then the week after, then the week after. <mod snip> I paid a friendly visit. He assured me the rifle was ordered and serial number would be ready Tuesday. Two weeks later I did actually get a number. Then begain the saga of waiting for the import license. Again after calling him a respectable number of times I paid a visit. He swore the licence application had been despatched earleir that week to the Dept. [Mod Edit]with I suggested we look for the copy of the fax he sent. Much rummaging and not a sign of anything. I left after politely explaining I wanted my new gun.(this is three weeks into the deer stalking season so I am unamused but can spot that shouting <mod snip> is pointless) I ring him during the week to be told the UK company must have sold my gun to someone else and we have to begin the process again.
    End result I end up with the steyr.243 he has had sitting in the shop all the time. Either that or I started back on the road to apoplexy.
    I realise there are limited numbers of gunshops around but my personal experience with this place was horrendous.

Look this thread is on a fine line, detailing your expeince with a place is fine but please refrain for personal abuse of indvudules i.e. calling them stupid names...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 40 Watt

My apologies if I strayed over the line with personal references. I wouldnt wish a similar saga on anyone and typing out the details had me back in a frenzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭vlmaxis

More bitching?! when will it end?.
    For what it is worth, Outdoor hobby went trough a bit of a bad spell last year,
    thankfully the have overcome this problem and are reopening the shop in a larger premises, and the shop will be under new management, George and Clarrie will be running it, <mod snip> we all make mistakes in business, let it be.
    My personal experience with Outdoor before they had their problems was one of pure pleasure, they never done me or any of my friends any wrong, and they were always very competitive, so give them a second chance, they are only human.

ted2 wrote:
    Having problems with them at the moment where are they moving to. Been waiting for 14 weeks for delivery licence etc sorted.
    They are only moving 300yds from the old shop, if you contact <mod snip> i am sure he will sort out your problem, he can't do it from here!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

vlmaxis wrote:
    For what it is worth, Outdoor hobby went trough a bit of a bad spell last year,
    thankfully the have overcome this problem and are reopening the shop in a larger premises, and the shop will be under new management, George and Clarrie will be running it, <mod snip> we all make mistakes in business, let it be.
    My personal experience with Outdoor before they had their problems was one of pure pleasure, they never done me or any of my friends any wrong, and they were always very competitive, so give them a second chance, they are only human.

Sounds good to me

• Advertisement

vlmaxis wrote:
    When good customer service for all arrives, one would hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I went there the other day to find Outdoor Hobby closed with a For Sale sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Does anyone have contact details for George <mod snip>?

I need to contact them as I have paid for a gun and need some details for the licence application.

There is no answer from the shop number 01 6104426 and the shop has been closed when I called both today and last Thursday.

macnab wrote:
    I went there the other day to find Outdoor Hobby closed with a For Sale sign up.
    Sad to see this happening to local dealers, but with internet dealers prices and with the impact on a business of even a few cases where customer service wasn't quite up to par, it may become a trend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

They haven't closed, just moved about 500yds towards Celbridge.

cantona wrote:
    They haven't closed, just moved about 500yds towards Celbridge.

Where exactly are they now located - there is no notice at the original place:confused:

Rosahane wrote:
    Does anyone have contact details for George or Alex?

I need to contact them as I have paid for a gun and need some details for the licence application.

There is no answer from the shop number 01 6104426 and the shop has been closed when I called both today and last Thursday.

George Fawsett has asked me to post this contact number, <mod snip>, give him a call and he will help you.

Don't know what the definition of bitching is.... but someone asked for peoples experiences with this business and that's whats been been posted.....some good.... some bad.

I would wonder about any store that moves 500 yards and doesn't erect a notice to that effect.

Personally I wish we had more dealers, but I'm sure it's not the most profitable business considering the limited market here in Ireland.

vlmaxis wrote:
    George Fawsett has asked me to post this contact number, <mod snip>, give him a call and he will help you.

All sorted, thanks guys:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 geribabe

macnab wrote:
    You did not see a For Sale sign outside Outdoor Hobby, as Outdoor Hobby is not for sale. As I am a member of the family, I know what I am talking about. Outdoor Hobby is moving premises about a mile up the road towards Celbridge. It won't be for a while yet. In the meantime George can be phoned on the number given above by vlmaxis, he will help you with any queries.

Advertisement