Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAB Radio

• 03-01-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I had a quick search, but I couldn’t find anything relating to this., although I’m sure it has been done before.

I’m home sick, not much, but I miss BBC Radio Five Live, BBC Radio 4 long wave (For the cricket coverage) and Talksport, I can just about pick these stations up, but it depends on weather conditions etc. and it the reception is lousy at best.

Can anyone tell me if a DAB Radio would work here (Or South Dublin to be more precise) If so, will I be able to get good enough coverage to listen to the Beeb and Talksport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If you had said Killiney, rather than Sandycove, I'd have said yes. I've successfully got my DAB radio working from Belfast up in the Killiney hill car park.

The technical aspects of trying to get DAB reception from the UK, along with RTÉ's broadcasts are discussed in the Terrestrial board. This thread explains the depths I've gone to :)

My advice would be to get a free-to-air satellite system (not necessarily for Sky digital), where you can get very clear BBC radio and Talksport. Also, a Sky Gnome (which is not on sale in Ireland) would work with a UK Sky digital system. If you want me to go into more detail, I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

I know what you mean about missing BBC radio, One can only take so much of people moaning to Joe Duffy while he goads them on, or the ever so stiff Pat Kenny or sleazy Gerry Ryan boasting about his latest trip to New York! I really missed BBC radio but there are ways and means!
    You can try a wi-fi internet radio. You can listen to thousands of radio stations including BBC. (You need a wireless router also) I have just purchased an Acoustic Energy set from bbcshop.co.uk. I will report back once it arrives and I get it going.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

DMC wrote:
    If you had said Killiney, rather than Sandycove, I'd have said yes. I've successfully got my DAB radio working from Belfast up in the Killiney hill car park.

The technical aspects of trying to get DAB reception from the UK, along with RTÉ's broadcasts are discussed in the Terrestrial board. This thread explains the depths I've gone to :)

My advice would be to get a free-to-air satellite system (not necessarily for Sky digital), where you can get very clear BBC radio and Talksport. Also, a Sky Gnome (which is not on sale in Ireland) would work with a UK Sky digital system. If you want me to go into more detail, I can.

Unfortunately a dish is out of the question as my landlord will not allow it. I guess that also menas the 876foot aerial I would need for normal radio reception:D

I do have a wireless outer though, so I would be very interested in Tallspoons Wi-Fi radio.

Thanks to you both for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I would add that with regard to internet radio and 5 Live, there is the issue of not being able to listen to a lot of sport output, unless you have access to a UK IP address or ISP.

EDIT: If you have NTL cable, you can listen to BBC Radio if you connect up a suitable FM receiver. Including 5 Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Unfortunately a dish is out of the question as my landlord will not allow it. I guess that also menas the 876foot aerial I would need for normal radio reception:D

Do you have cable TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cricket eh? You really are a glutton for punishment;)

I do remember being able to pick up most of the BBC stations on terrestial radio(1 and Five live definitely) when living in Ireland. Although I was up in North county dublin so the nearer the north the better the reception I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

My AE WiFi internet radio arrived this morning, piece of cake to set up and I was soon listening to 2UE in Australia.
    Sound quality was good and the unit couldn't be easier to use. I don't even need my PC to be turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

you can listen to all the bbc radio stations online http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MarinoMark wrote:
    you can listen to all the bbc radio stations online http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

Trouble is, with a lot of football coverage they cannot broadcast over the internet.

oh well, I will have to put up with it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well I read today that RTE are due to launch up to six new digital radio stations within the next 3 months. It will be interesting to see how these are to be carried, DAB or via the DVB-T trial, NTL Digital or Sky?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Greenman wrote:
    Do you have cable TV?

Well do you?

Advertisement