Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR - Network game

Options
  • 03-01-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to networking.

Myself and my mate bought have copies of Fear and wireless cards on our
    laptops. How do we network the 2 machines and play Multiplayer FEAR against each other?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Are you using a router? If so then its easy enough, as long as you have firewalls etc config'd. If no router then look up ad-hoc networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

No router - just 2 wireless machines.

How much does a router cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I suppose now is not the best time to point out that fear multi-player is free to download.

So what you have is 2 wireless network cards and 2 laptops?

Do you have broadband?

A wireless router is something like . Wireless cards are not designed to talk to each other, but rather to the router. There are ways around this but as you are not entirely tech savvy they would not be the best option.

Or you can just put a cross-over Ethernet cable between the 2.

No broadband yet - hopefully next month.

I have an Ethernet cable at home - is it simply a case of connecting the 2 laptops with the cable and start FEAR (mulitplayer option), or is there a complicated proceedure to set this up?

Thanks for your help

Cant say for certain, a normal Ethernet cable may work depending on the laptop network cards. Otherwise a cross-over cable will be need for lan play. Then hook them up, go to multiplayer and lan game, one will need to create a game, the other will then be able to see it and play in it.

• Advertisement

Ok, so i managed to setup an Ad Hoc Wireless network and have the 2 laptops connecting.

So how do I set up multiplayer on the 2 machines in FEAR using this network?

Thanks

Assuming both machines are connected to the same network, one person goes into multiplayer, then Lan games, then he creates a game. The other goes into Lan games and he should be able to see it.

Must be some nice laptops to play fear. Normally laptops that good have in-built wireless.

Yeah we both have swanky 17" HP's with 256 dedicated cards :)

Do we need to change the port number? Does someone have to be established as the host machine? Any other settings I should know about?

Thanks Krazy 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Nope.

Just fire up a LAN game, either of you, doesn't need to be set as a dedicated host.

Btw, 2 folks is a bit small for some of the maps imo; unless you try and keep meeting around the one area.

oh, and those trip mines ftw :)

Guys,

I'm wondering if we're talking about a different vesion of FEAR (I'm using 1.07).

When I select Multiplayer (below the Single player mode), theres no
    create game option. I can select Lan and have options such as host.

Theres is a section showing network connections (but my ad hoc network is not visible).

I'm VERY new to network games.

Thanks

• Advertisement

...am Host is create a game.

Your network wont show because there is no game running at that moment. When you host, your friend should see your game in the list.

Thanks Kai,

The problem is when I host - is closes the FEAR menu and opens a hosting terminal. I can't re-open FEAR on my laptop with this terminal open.

Is there some proceedure to re-open the game and play on the hosting laptop?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the FEAR multiplayer setup myself.

I have FEAR: Combat which is the free standalone multiplayer they released. That's literally Create game -> game setup -> Host -> voila.

I've no way of testing FEAR atm but there's a chance I might be able to find a machine with it installed to see what's going on :)

Thanks again Kai, it would be great if you can get a chance to test.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to download the Combat version.

I'd rather not - my bird will kill me if I download anymore stuff on her machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

When you go click Multiplayer, you should get a screen like so:

1e7da6b4caef0ab7bad2.png

I'm running the retail version, patch 1.07/1.08 would have taken a while to download but I can't imagine the setup being any different.

I clicked 'HOST' and I got the game setup options. I have no idea what caused the terminal to appear for you; the option for dedicated server doesn't appear till the game options screen which is the next screen after the one above.

0bf8a2b4dafa4470f427.png
    *edit: added game options screen

Setup the game options and click the 'LAUNCH' button in the bottom right hand corner. Worked for me.

posted under Otacon with permission as I was testing FEAR on his machine.
    /k

Thanks Otocon.

The terminal opened when I clicked the Launch button - I'm not sure if
    I have the Dedicated Server option enabled or what game type I had selected.

I'll test it out tomrrow evening (can't tonight) and let you know.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

That worked a treat Otacon - I just had to set the Dedicated Server to 'No'.

Many thanks for everyones help.

Karl

Otacon wrote:
    *posted under Otacon with permission as I was testing FEAR on his machine.
    /k

*cough* :)

Glad it worked out.

Haha and of course many thanks to you to Kaimera :-)

Advertisement