Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep yourself protected

• 03-01-2007 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

My recomendations

Anti-Virus:
    ESET NOD32

http://www.eset.com/products/compare-NOD32-vs-competition.php
    http://www.eset.com/products/compare.php
    http://www.eset.com/products/compare_heuristic_detection.php

I find this a light non cpu hogging get to the point ruthless antivirus. STAY AWAY from bloatware like synmantec/norton, mcafee etc.. they require so much hdd space, ram and ride the cpu. and yet they miss so much new threats. Norton only gives auto-updates once a week, while NOD32 updates auto several times a day.

Firewall:
    Zonealarm Pro
    You must already know this :)

However it does require a bit of technical knowledge, so if you need a lightweight firewall with damn all configuration and still very effective, get Sygate Personal Firewall. It might be hard to find a copy of this but if you do, your lucky. as Sygate was took over by Synmantec. You dont need norton Personal Firewall, its a joke.

Anti-Spyware:
    Im afraid the free ones just dont compare here :(
    Spy Sweeper
    Spyware Doctor
    Much of a much-ness here. both excellent. Cleans up crap that anti-virus dont. antivirus like NOD32 will delete malicious spyware executables, however these will clean up the mess left after like fixing internet explorer homepage, tool bars etc.

If you need a free alternative Microsoft actually have a surprisingly ok solution called Windows Defender, they are using the GIANT antispyware engine.
    Another is Ad-aware. I think the pro version is free now, however its not as good as windows defender.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Spybot Search and Destroy+AVG Anti-spyware work very well together for spyware/malware.
    I have been using Comodo Firewall for a while because I hated every other one since Sygate was swallowed up. Works great.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd have to disagree with your remarks regarding free anti-spyware programs not comparing to pay one's, free one's are fine if not better, especially if you use the likes of Spybot and Adaware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Cabaal wrote:
    I'd have to disagree with your remarks regarding free anti-spyware programs not comparing to pay one's, free one's are fine if not better, especially if you use the likes of Spybot and Adaware.

When cleaning out infected pc's i get more detections using spyware doctor.

ad-aware was pretty ok also but not as good and spy bot search and destroy still left the system pretty unstable. These free antispyware are usually only good at detecting known threats and never really find new or packed/encrypted/modified threats. They rely on known definitions, that why there free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

IME the only Antispyware\Malware package worth paying for is AVG', formerly Ewido.. Of the professional ones it is by far the most comprehensive. No harm in using the free ones in conjunction with it though.

spy bot search and destroy still left the system pretty unstable.

Highly unlikely, in the process of malware\removal it may have caused issues, but those issues are due ot the presence of the malicaious code, rather than the application used to remove them. TBH its a bit like saying "I had Norton, I replaced it with NOD32 and it killed my computer" when in reality NOD32 has put infected files into quarantine that norton missed, resulting in a non-booting or unstable system.

NOD32 is the best professional AV alright have to agree there.

what im saying is that spy-boy search and destroy didnt remove all infections while spyware doctor did. i said "STILL left" not saying it put the system unstable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what im saying is that spy-boy search and destroy didnt remove all infections while spyware doctor did. i said "STILL left" not saying it put the system unstable.

They can all be much of a muchness to be honest, I've seen stuff being removed by Adaware that Spybot didn't get, stuff being removed by Spybot that Adware didn't get, stuff being removed by Windows defender that the other two didn't get and visa versa.

Nothing gets 100% of items when it comes to spyware etc

Source: http://ssupdater.com/modules/Forums/index.php?showtopic=995

Here is the one you (and us) have been waiting for, the first REAL Anti-Spyware test. This test was done to push the limits of all the Anti-Spyware programs that we currently offer to you. This test was difficult for all the Anti-Spyware programs since only severe and highly ranked spywares were used. The main reason for using difficult to remove spyware is that any program can remove tracking cookies or “Bad Sites”, but not all of them are equal in removing or catching difficult to remove spyware.

The tests were conducted using Windows XP Professinal SP2, emulated in a VMware engine. Our sample list contains 22,847 spywares, in many types such as:

Adwares
    BHO's (browser helper object)
    Browser Hijackers
    Dialers
    Downloaders 
    Droopers
    Exploits
    Flooders
    Keyloggers
    Remote Administration Tools
    Trackware
    Rootkits
    Trojans and Trojan based spywares
    System Monitors
    And more...

No tracking cookies or any of the Low rated spywares were used.

All programs tested had the latest updates and they were tested using their full scanning capabilities.

The Results
    (Anti-Spyware Name / Detection Rate)

1)Sunbelt CounterSpy 2.1.0.917/ 81.13%
    2)Spyware Doctor 4.0.0.2621 / 77.58%
    3)Spy Sweeper 5.3.1.2344/ 75.89%
    4)Ashampoo AntiSpyware 1.50 / 69.45%
    5)Microsoft Windows Defender 1.1.1593.0/ 66.34%
    6)Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.5.1041/ 65.91%
    7)Zero Spyware 3.4/ 61.36%
    8)Spy Emergency 3.0.315/ 60.73%
    9)SUPER AntiSpyware Professional 3.5.0.1016/ 59.96
    10)ParetoLogic Anti-Spyware 5.0.224/ 59.69%
    11)Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06/ 59.27%
    12)Spyware Terminator 1.8.0.925/ 26.82%
    13)Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4/ 23.41%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Prevention is better than cure. If you really want to keep yourself protected, then take simple precautions such as not running your OS as an administrative user, keeping said OS patched, using a browser with sensible activex, javascript, etc settings (same with mail clients, which are turning into full-fledged web browsers these days), and keeping an eye out for new vulnerabilities in all of the above software.

If you follow these steps, along with running a firewall, you (hopefully) should never need to rely on anti-virus or anti-spyware software to clean up.

Advertisement