Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fluent Irish

• 03-01-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

What would the attendees of this forum consider to be a fluent level of Irish ?

I would be fairly confident in my level of Irish, ie I could hold my own in most everyday conversations & understand most TG 4 programmes etc. Would you consider this fluent ?

In saying that, my grammar would be slightly questionable..............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

no, I got to say I wouldnt consider it fluent. My level of speaking our native tounge is similiar to yours. There is no way that I would consider myself fluent, unless you read my CV!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

Thats what I thought myself to be honest.

Theres a job going which requires fluent Irish & my boyf was trying to convince me I could be a candidate, but I thought no !

Id love to be !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

snb wrote:
    Thats what I thought myself to be honest.

Theres a job going which requires fluent Irish & my boyf was trying to convince me I could be a candidate, but I thought no !

Id love to be !

We can't fairly assess your fluency here, but if it's a case of going for a job, go for it and to hell with the begrudgers.

You have nothing to lose by applying and even if you don't get it, the experience of having your Irish fluency assessed will help you know where you need to improve for the future. Don't let a lack of self-confidence hold you back. I've seen way too many people with very good Irish who have a complete inferiority complex about their ability in the language.

Tapaigh an deis! (Carpe Diem/Seize the Day)

Advertisement