Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Drum Patterns with Midi Controller

Options
  • 03-01-2007 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Got another newbie type question for you all!!!

Up to this point I have been using drum loop/samples in my music for ease of use. I'd like to get out of this habit because I want to have the drums (snare, base, hi-hat) as a separate audio file in my sequencer so I can mix each part seperatly e.g. add reverb to the snare etc...

I can do this handy enough in Fruity loops using one hit samples using the piano roll and sequencer and then exporting each track seperately.

Recently I got a midi keyboard controller and I would like to use this to program my drum patterns so I cna add variation etc...
    However, the problem is that in FL I can only program each part one at a time. e.g. I program the hi-hat with keyboard, then the snare etc...

The thing is, I prefer to do the snare and floor bass at the same time (dont mind doing hi-hat on its own). There are drum midi modules in FL but if I do that then the drum kit will be recorded as one audio file (and I wont be able to use one hit samples).

I've searched the net and all the usual forums but I cant find a solution. It kind of feels like its so simple that its just presumed that peeps no how to do it!!!

So how do people record drums?

Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm not too familiar with FL studio but given how you describe it it sounds like each note in the kit you are using is assigned to a different track and therefore your MIDI controller can't play multiple notes/drums without remapping.

As I don't know much about the drum instrument you're using, I'd recommend you download Dr.Fusion - http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1771.html

This is a free drum machine that should be more than enough for what you're doing - download it and copy the included .dll file to your C:\Program files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins folder (create this folder if it does not exist). Then create a new track in FL and use Dr.Fusion as an instrument plugin (again I don't know how thats done in FL but I'm sure you'll figure it out).

The cool thing is you can assign each drum in Dr.Fusion to one of 8 different outputs - this will allow you to assign whatever effects you like on up to 8 different channels. You should then be able to use your keyboard to drum away to your heart's content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Cheers for the reply cornbb,
    I downloaded Dr. Fusion. It's a really good VSTi, especially when you consider it is free. The only thing is though, when I record it, it will be one audio file, as opposed to one audio file. Meaning any EQ, compression or reverb will be on the whole WAV file as opposed to the individual elements (thom, snare etc...)...

Is this generally the done thing to have the drums as one file?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

No, you're correct, it should be entirely possible to seperate them out onto different tracks.

Basically you need to click the buttons marked 'Out1' at the bottom of the Dr.Fusion interface, as shown: http://www.museresearch.com/kvr/i/b/drfusion.gif - for example, assign snare to Out2 and clap to Out3 - this means these sounds will come out of Dr.Fusion on their own outputs while the rest of the drums will come out on Out1. You should then be able to manage these different outputs on different tracks, assign different effects etc.

The problem is, I can't explain to you how to route these signals in FL Studio once they're out of Dr.Fusion as I'm not familiar with it. Try googling "fl studio routing vsti", or maybe someone else here will explain this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Ha ha!!! (If you were wondering what that large clunk sound was, it was just the penny dropping!)

Cheers for that. I've a 2 days off now so that'll give me something to work on!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Pagilus - have you tried FL's FPC plugin? This will allow you to put each drum sound on a different effects bus, so you can mix to taste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement