Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand bookshop - Dublin south city centre?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good second-hand bookshop in the southside of dublin city centre? I know of a couple on the north side but they are to far to get to at lunchtime.

Sorry if this is the incorrect forum by the way but it seemed the most appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

How about the Secret Bookshop on Wicklow St, beside Tower Records? ... if it's still there that is, I haven't been in a few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Yeah the secret bookshop is still there. Not exactly a huge selection though.
    Thinks there's some secondhand book stalls in George's St Arcade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The Student Bookshop in Trinity College is technically south enough to be considered southside. Upsatirs from the SU shop as you go in the front arch. the selection is not wonderful, but it is cheap, and they'll be buying in books soon enough, so there should be a bit more choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

rathmines has a nice one, dunno if thats too far away for ya though. its across the road from the spar beside st.micheals near portabello bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

is that the oxfam shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks for the info peeps. Pity Chapters isn't a bit closer...it's just that bit too far to make at lunchtime for me.

I wonder is there a hole in the market here for someone to open something like Chapters on the southside? I guess rents would be too expensive or something. Must be some reason for the complete lack of a good second hand bookshop on this side of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

It's got even further with the new one opening on Parnell Street! Huge shop though with good selection. Not sure when the second hand section opens actually. Are they keeping the old one open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Upstairs in Mojo Records (I think that's the name of the place, it's on that little alley directly south of the Ha'Penny Bridge) has just started doing second-hand books, their selection isn't huge but I saw a lot of stuff I was interested in when I was in there a few weeks ago, and it's quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

TimAy wrote:
    It's got even further with the new one opening on Parnell Street! Huge shop though with good selection. Not sure when the second hand section opens actually. Are they keeping the old one open?
    That will become part of the Arnotts redevelopment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ludo wrote:
    Must be some reason for the complete lack of a good second hand bookshop on this side of the city centre.

We're so affluent that we just buy all our books new

-OR-

We're so technologically advanced that we buy all our books online for cheap, cheap, cheap

-OR-

We're illiterate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

cashback wrote:
    Yeah the secret bookshop is still there. Not exactly a huge selection though.
    Thinks there's some secondhand book stalls in George's St Arcade.

I s'pose they don't really have a great selection of books ... I always founded something that I liked there though; I must have just been lucky that my taste in literature concurred with that of whoever ran the place!

The stalls in the George's St arcade are usually quite qood too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

John wrote:
    We're so affluent that we just buy all our books new

-OR-

We're so technologically advanced that we buy all our books online for cheap, cheap, cheap

In fairness at the prices second hand bookshops charge these days, it is more economical to buy new nearly.
    I buy 99% online myself but the odd time get stuck without a book and just wanted to know if there was somewhere handy.

Advertisement