Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Displaying Chinese characters

Options
  • 03-01-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I need to have a Chinese language version for a small part of my site (1 page). I originally thought this would just be a matter of changing the HTTP charset parameter (to gb2312 or Big5). However it transpires that users would have to download a language support pack for their particular browser.

Has anyone any experience with displaying Chinese or other foreign language characters?

I've tried copying the BBC Chinese version but I'm not getting the same characters...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/chinese/simp/hi/default.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I'm pretty sure the users would to download a language pack no matter what way you do it. Can you maybe embed a chinese font in the webpage or something?

Of course you could always look at alternatives i.e. the page as a pdf, image or a piece of flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The problem is the encoding. You need to display the text in the same encoding as you received it. Take the BBC website for example. Their page is encoded with GB2312, so to copy and paste things from their site and display it on yours, you would need to set the encoding of the page to the same as the BBC.

Joel Spolsky wrote a great article on this: The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!).

Advertisement