Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone downgraded on smart yet

Options
  • 03-01-2007 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Saw no thread on this for the last two pages, So here goes. Has anyone been downgraded from the 7mbs to whatever it was ment to be? I'm still on 7mb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Still on 6/7Mb here as well.
    Maybe they forgot about us. shhh :D

Ah I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually... though I'm not exactly waiting on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my cousin who is on smart was downgraded from 6mb back to 3mb a lil while ago

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not downgraded yet, though I do hope they do soon, as my connection is somewhat erratic at the moment, which I'm putting down to my line not being able to cope with the speeds offered.

Also, 4mbit is now the standard package, not 3. At least that's what it said in a letter I got regarding price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yep :( Down from 8Mbps to 6Mbps.

Was originally on the 5Mbps package before the free 3Mbps upgrade.

So it looks like all packages are getting a 1Mbps upgrade.

I wonder how much the new 6Mbps package will cost???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Downgraded to 4Mb now.
    byte wrote:
    as my connection is somewhat erratic at the moment
    Yeah fingers crossed I won't have to resync every few hours now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

According to the website http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php it seems you can upgrade to 6MB from 4MB for an extra €5 a month. On hold in a queue at the minute trying to confirm this.

€44.99 for 6MB is a great price if it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I was still on 6Mbps yesterday, will check again this evening.

Hopefully I won't be downgraded cos when I signed up to Broadband Plus it stated 6 Mbps without any time limitation on it. They changed it fairly soon after that. If they do try and downgrade me I'll fight it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I find this Speed Test gives a more accurate result than Smart's own one: http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php Just been downgraded today, modem shows 4.7Mb down and 314Kb upstream, still decent speed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I'm down to 4Mbps from 6, funny enough my router went down the very same time they cut everyone off. I called tech support and they didn't know about the cut off, so arranged to send me a new router. But I never got it.

I eventually got it, but it took 2 months to get me reconnected, they said they would give me a free month at the end of my contract, but might call them see if I can have the upgrade instead!

As they say in Geordieland 'shy bairns get nowt!'

V1llianous wrote:
    I was still on 6Mbps yesterday, will check again this evening.

Hopefully I won't be downgraded cos when I signed up to Broadband Plus it stated 6 Mbps without any time limitation on it. They changed it fairly soon after that. If they do try and downgrade me I'll fight it. :D

I am down to 4.2 Mbps now.

Queue long phonecall to Smart tomorrow. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, have been downgraded also, it seems.

4733 kbps down
    320 kbps up

Still good enough speed, though I'd like to have kept the higher upload speed for sending and hosting photos, etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

V1llianous wrote:
    I am down to 4.2 Mbps now.

Queue long phonecall to Smart tomorrow. :mad:

Why? Smart made it very clear that the upgrade was a bonus until the end of the year as a result of the problems that a lot of their customers had experienced because of Eircom's actions.

For once I hope you meet the most ignorant csr in the entire universe and they tell you where to get off.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

dub45 wrote:
    Why? Smart made it very clear that the upgrade was a bonus until the end of the year as a result of the problems that a lot of their customers had experienced because of Eircom's actions.

For once I hope you meet the most ignorant csr in the entire universe and they tell you where to get off.:rolleyes:

I was told that my free upgrade would be until the end of feb as I had lost 2 months service, so I WILL be calling smart.

As I get the free line rental payment, I was told I would get my BB for less as smart give you free line rental anyway and I wouldn't benefit from that. But I have been paying €28.99 since I started. Apparently they are waiting for confirmation from the health board and then will adjust my fee accordingly.

I might ask them what upgrade would I have if I carried on paying €28.99?

Also RE: CSRs, I used to work for Orange customer services in the UK so I know how to handle them, the amount of times I called AOhell in the UK and managed to get free months due to thier incompetence!

Just remember if the CSR says they can't do anything, ask to escalate the call to a supervisor, take the CSRs name and the name of the supervisor who will be calling you. Get the extension if you can. This goes for emailing customer services, keep a copy of all mails sent and recieved.

Put out, don't put up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jward

I was downgraded as well, the new pricing has been annouced on the smart forum but not confirmed. Currently on to customer services to upgrade to 8mbps

44.99 for 6mbps
    49.99 for 8mbps

See them here http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=9877&postcount=36

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Upgrading to the 8Mbs package as well. Great price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Still far and away the best broadband provider in the country.

God bless 'em. :D

dub45 wrote:

If you read my original mail instead of flaming me you would see when I signed up on the site it was stated that the speed was 6mbps with no time limitation. See attached PDF

FYI I did not get the most ignorant CSR in the universe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

V1llianous wrote:
    If you read my original mail instead of flaming me you would see when I signed up on the site it was stated that the speed was 6mbps with no time limitation. See attached PDF

FYI I did not get the most ignorant CSR in the universe.

And you will equally see that it was for a limited period! So you limited period is now over:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Now folks play nice and no more of this ignorant csr joshing.

dub45 wrote:
    And you will equally see that it was for a limited period! So you limited period is now over:)

Did you even read the PDF the price was for a limited period the speed is not ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

V1llianous wrote:
    Did you even read the PDF the price was for a limited period the speed is not ?

People play nice or I'll turn this car around! :)

In relation to the PDF, its not 100% clear that the promotion is in relation to the offer as a whole (speed & price), just the price or just the speed.

So I can understand why V1llianous would think its just in relation to the price.

For further clarity here is January's version of the page:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadbandplusfeatures.php

On the version in November and December it stated the same as above except the speed was listed as 6Mbps for a limited period only.

My query to Smart remains the same and they are looking at it. I signed up for 6Mbps ( no limitations ) so that forms my contract, then afterwards they changed it with a time limitation - therefore this time limitation shouldn't be applied to my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You seem to be coming from the point of view that companies don't have a right to change a product or service from what you initially signed up to. That is not the case. Fair enough they said you would have 6mb now they say you'll have 4mb, and as such you've every right to opt out of your contract and go elsewhere, but their not bound to provide a specific service at a specific price for all time. I'd imagine if you looked at what ever you signed orginally, theres a clause in there stating as much.

Question is, do you seriously feel hard done by? Did you realyl believe you'd have the 6mb service at that price after the rest of us where downgraded, or did you hope to have it?

LiouVille wrote:
    You seem to be coming from the point of view that companies don't have a right to change a product or service from what you initially signed up to. That is not the case. Fair enough they said you would have 6mb now they say you'll have 4mb, and as such you've every right to opt out of your contract and go elsewhere, but their not bound to provide a specific service at a specific price for all time. I'd imagine if you looked at what ever you signed orginally, theres a clause in there stating as much.

Question is, do you seriously feel hard done by? Did you realyl believe you'd have the 6mb service at that price after the rest of us where downgraded, or did you hope to have it?

I believed I would be provided what I signed up for. Regarding the downgrade of a service at the same cost would surely come under false advertising. I wasn't to know that 2 weeks after signing the contract they would shift the goal posts - so I have calmly and rationally asked them to look into it for me.

I will post again when I here what they have to say. It doesn't seem to make any sense doing otherwise as people seem to think they can have a go at me for signing up for a service I believe should be provided as described :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

V1llianous wrote:
    I believed I would be provided what I signed up for. Regarding the downgrade of a service at the same cost would surely come under false advertising. I wasn't to know that 2 weeks after signing the contract they would shift the goal posts - so I have calmly and rationally asked them to look into it for me.

There will be without a doubt something in the T&C's about the service being liable to change. I signed up to a 3mb service at 35euro a month, by your logic I should be able to force smart to continue providing that service to me, because thats what I paid for. This is not the case. Service providers don't work that way.
    I will post again when I here what they have to say. It doesn't seem to make any sense doing otherwise as people seem to think they can have a go at me for signing up for a service I believe should be provided as described :rolleyes:

Your belief really doesn't matter, You've a right to go else where. Nobody is forcing you to pay for a service you don't want.

Advertisement