Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/4 scale Opel Rak

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That is shaping up nicely Fred. Very unique looks. Sorta Cessna Skymaster meets Ka - with a rocket - just for added fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hello there,
    Back to the building, and this time with the elevator section.
    Not a lot of pieces for the fixed part :
    stabkit_648.jpg
    And we glue everything together ! The central rib id made in 3mm plywood and will received a mini servo for the elevator :
    stabmontage_123.jpg

Then, the stab TE is closed with 1.5mm balsa, and the LE made as usual with 10mm balsa. A balsa block is cut for the stab ends, and will later receive the rudders. Et voila :
    stabfini_115.jpg

Tonight, rudder or elevator.. We'll see ! :rolleyes:

Fred

Hi there,
    Here we go again, this time with the fixed rudders. First, cut the parts. The plywood is used for the aluminium tubes brackets (not sure of that word..) :

kitderives_143.jpg

Then, nothing really difficult. Just a puzzle to assemble :

deriveassemble_133.jpg

Just to have a look at the beast, and have an idea of what the finalize project is going to look like, I've setup the elevator/rudder on the booms. we can see a close up of the rudder / aluminium tube junction. Easy and simple ! :

derivespoutre_362.jpg

And a general view :

derivesplaneur_224.jpg

Well, so far, I'm happy, and the machine is looking really good. I even start to like it !
    The glider seems to be light so far, and that's good as not a lot is left to be done (sheeting, and all the moving things (rudder, elevator , ailerons..).
    Almost there !

Fred

Hi there,

I finally received my plywood for the Opel !
    0.8mm plywood for the fuselage, and 0.4mm for the wings.

I've started with the fuselage flanc, to finish (for the time being) with the bottom fuselage. That still give me access via the top section to the fuselage interior to install the pilot seat and so on before closing the fuselage definitively. Easy to do, but no mistakes allowed with the plywood, but by going slowly that do a perfect job !

coffragefuselage_197.jpg

coffragefuselage2_203.jpg

For the struts, I've cut the space for them after I've glued the flancs. Easier that way, once again if you are carefull (using a small router) :

haubanfuselage_135.jpg

And that's it for now ! This week end, I'll finish the fuselage and start to cover / do the sheeting of the wings.

Fred

Hi there,
    Almost there ! I think this week, will be my last one on the Opel.

Here are some pictures :

frontfuselage_133.jpg
    Plywood, it's beautiful ! I think I've just fall in love with this material ! So much easier to work than the balsa !

vuefuselagecote_718.jpg

vuefuselagecote2_136.jpg

I just have to finish the sheeting under the wings on the fuselage, but I leave it like that for now as I'm doing the servos wirering.. Just in case.. But nothing is glued yet.

• Advertisement

More...

vuetail_409.jpg

1 servo / rudder. you can also see the rubber, used in kites that has been modified to connect the 2 tail booms. Almost like the real one ! And simple !

vueplaneur_172.jpg

This week, I just have to keep concentrated to all the moving parts (rudder, elevator and ailerons) and finish to install all the electrics cables and so on. After that, that's the finishing.
    ARTF !

Well, after a lonnngg break on the Opel (almost 2 weeks without gluing wood...:o ) back to work ! ARTF !

opeljardin_122.jpg

Just to give you an idea, here is the model, ready for transport... You need a bit of space, but no other solution at that size / scale.

opeldemonte_669.jpg

So, this week, last week on the machine ! Just to do the electronics, covering and finishing... May be not fully ready to fly next week end, but that will be really close !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Lookin really nice. Tis a credit to ya.
    Always wanted a glider meself... guess I`ll put it on the list...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

looks really nice/big:rolleyes:
    Cant wait to see it covered

Thanks guys ! Much appreciated ! :)

Thanks to Anthony from http://www.rubberprintdesign.com, here is the PDF file for the Opel Rak Letters.
    The scale is 1/4, but for those interrested, he can cut them at any size. And he is a modeler, so, he will understand what you are talking about and what is you really need ! :rolleyes:
    The file can be downloaded here : http://www.gliderireland.net/files/...tersopelrak.pdf (800 Ko)

Fred

• Advertisement

Hi There,
    The covering is on the way and almost finished !
    fini2_153.jpg

Don't know how to cover a wing like this ?
    Here is a tutorial for you !
    http://www.gliderireland.net/covering.htm

Fred

Hello there,
    Well, the Opel project is almost finished ! Ready to fly !
    Now, waiting for the good opportunity (next week end should be the good one), I can concentrate on all the small details... Cockpit, rocket pods, wires and so on.
    And thanks again to Anthony for the lettering !
    opel1_210.jpg
    opel2_122.jpg
    opel3_972.jpg

And to finish :
    opel4_945.jpg
    opel5_192.jpg

Next, in flight pictures !

The Opel has flown ! :D

Well, back from Retroplane 2007 ! The Opel did is maiden voyage the saturday of the meeting.
    To tell the truth, the real first flight was a bit.. disapointing !
    Launch, went straight, but the glider did not want to go up !
    Flew like this for 5 minutes, and then land... We've just look at each other with Joe, thinking that this thing will never fly (well... 100% scale, the original did not much better ! :wink: )

Analyse of the flight, then, that was obvious that the CG was a bit too much forwrd...
    Removed around 40 grs of lead (the only piece of lead I was able to remove...) and off we go again...

And we saw the light, right after the second launch !
    What a flight !
    the 40 grs made a huge difference, even if the machine is still nose heavy.
    Just the trim at the ailerons to be touched, everything else is fine. Rudders are really powerfull and the shape of the glider in the sky is really uncommon ! Really looks like a WWI bomber with the two tail booms !
    I flew lots of low passes, just for the pleasure (and the photographs :wink: )
    So, here are a few pictures... A video will follow soon (and more pictures...)
    Enjoy !

The launch... Where you try to think if you forgot something !
    opellaunch.jpg

In Flight

opelvol1.jpg

opelvol2.jpg

Guys,
    The Retroplane 2007 photo album is now online !
    More than 300 photos are available - Broadband is required !

The link :
    http://www.retroplane.net/album/index.php?cat=11

Enjoy ! :)

Hi There,

In flight video of the Opel is now available !
    Taken during the Cork / Kerry Fly-in the saturday.

Enjoy ! :)

http://www.gliderireland.net/images/videos/OpelRak.wmv

13 Mo - 2.30 mins.

Fred

Hi Fred

The Rak certainly flies nicely. :) You must be pleased with it.

Will we be seeing a flight with flames, smoke trails, and rockets attached soon? :D

Hi Norman,

Well, Everything is ready, I just have to sort out the way to light the fuse remotely (I don't want to die ! :p)
    But for now, I'm a bit busy with another little project :D :

premontage.jpg

But getting there !

.... another little project :D :

... "little" project .... ;)

:p:p

1/3 scale Ka3, enlarged from my 1/4 scale plan...
    Well, that take some space ! :D;)

More info here : http://www.gliderireland.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277

Fred

• Advertisement
Advertisement