Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Military Aviation

Options
  • 03-01-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hi all does anybody build any Aircraft that saw service with the Irish Air Corps? Personally i have built a Reims Cessna FR172H Rocket "203" And a CM170 Fouga Super Magister Jet "220", does anybody have any pics of their creations that were in Irish Military Service, i dont as i cant find the bloody things!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Are they static or flying models?
    here is a few pics of what I think you are looking for
    http://www.military.ie/aircorps/aircraft.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I have a DH100 Vampire built, with radio controls, brushless motor, and EDF jet unit inside.
    All finished and ready to fly - waiting for decent weather for maiden flight.
    Done up in Farnborough prototype testing colours.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Flunked wrote:
    Are they static or flying models?
    here is a few pics of what I think you are looking for
    http://www.military.ie/aircorps/aircraft.htm

They are static, thanks for the link but im not looking for that as im in the army reserve and have relations in the Air Corps i was just asking has anybody done models of them.

Steyr wrote:
    ... im in the army reserve and have relations in the Air Corps i was just asking has anybody done models of them.
    I just thought ... my Aeronaut Skyraider looks like a standoff scale Pilatus PC-9 :D
    skyraideratbrittas.jpg
    But if you look up close on the ground - the leading edge of the flat tail stabiliser on my one is swept whereas the PC9 has a straight leading edge .... It would be easy to modify if building another later on.
    skyraider5.jpg
    Earlier pic - nose was white then, it went yellow for 2006 (repair job -no white paint in toolbox at the time! ) , and now it's back to white again!

Go on do her up shiny red and put "Pilatus PC21" on the side as it looks similar!:D

pc21_1.jpg

pc21_3.jpg

By the way anybody see this? An Irish "What If":D posted and created by one of my colleagues over on www.irishairpics.com

I think it looks class!

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

If only in reality this was the sucessor to the PC9M ah well who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I really want to do one of these with Irish markings
    http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=CF4104

Though it might be nice to do one of these front.JPG with Irish markings for the fun of it :D
    Seems to be plenty of Irish decals around, like these:
    http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=MAX7216
    Now, anyone know where I can get some 1:72 scale donuts? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Did ireland ever upgrade to turbine power yet?:rolleyes:
    I always see them black cessena's flying around.

The current PC9s are turbo-prop.

Plug wrote:
    I always see them black cessena's flying around.

Dark green not black.

Hey Doc the Vampire you have in your first link is not the type that was Operated by the Irish Air Corps, This is the type..
    De Havilland Vampire T.55

198.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

yeah, i see that
    heres the right vampire:
    http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=CF494
    :D

coolwings wrote:
    The current PC9s are turbo-prop.

I want to see harriers flying tho:(
    Dark green not black.
    Close enough:p :D

Plug wrote:
    I want to see harriers flying tho:(

Not a hope, the Royal Navy have already de-commissioned all their Sea Harriers so they dont Operate them anymore and the RAF are about to do the same.

Ah but the Harrier isn't the only VTOL (vertical take off - landing) plane .
    And the Irish Air Corps are getting better kit every year.
    We can still hope ......

The new jet that hovers is called the joint strike fighter or something. Can hover but also go over the speed of sound.

Plug wrote:
    The new jet that hovers is called the joint strike fighter or something. Can hover but also go over the speed of sound.

Was originally called the X-35 JST (Joint Strike Fighter) but was later designated the F-35.

Designed in three versions
    The A version is a CTOL ( Conventional Takeoff and Landing) general strike fighter to replace F-16, and A-10 Thunderbolts. The Eurofighter might be a better option for this use.
    The B version is to STVOL (short takeoff/vertical landing) to replace the Harrier in UK Sea Harrier and US AV-8 Harriers, and F/A-18 Hornets.
    The C version is a carrier based version to replace the US naval A-7 Corsair and A-6 Intruder.

Here is a video link worth seeing:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4742849525846050256&q=f-35
    You have to stick to the end to see the in-flight fuselage modifications that open up the internal turbofan that powers the vertical landings.

Here are some pics of the earliest RC version I am aware of ...
    ulf44.JPG

ulf66.JPG

x355.gif

Yeah I got the right(kinda):D. Amazing all the things they can do these days. On that is there a model harrier or one of them that can hover and use's a real jet engine?

Yes RC modellers have done the Harrier in vertical takeoff.

I used to have a video of a guy in the UK doing it in the 1990s with one or two OS.91VRDF 2-stroke jet engines and ducted fans. Possibly 3 gyros inside. He couldn't do transition from hover to forward flight I remember. But it looked stupendous hovering there in front of him and making a noise like a banshee.

But there has been plenty of time since for someone to work it out and spend the big bucks that make this sort of model. I'll bet there is a RC model turbine Harrier with VTOL now.

Cost a € or 2 or maybe more:D

• Advertisement

She was called the Joint Strike Fighter X-35 ( JSF ) up until recently but she has now been renamed as the "Lightning 2" in Honour of the British built English Electric Lightning

Lightning.jpg

1-15.jpg

I don't think thats it in the picture anyway!

This is it the JSF "Lightning2" named the Lightning2 in Honour of the Aircraft in my post above the "English Electric Lightning"

X35.jpg

X352.jpg

X353.jpg

Wonderful plane.
    Development costs "only" 40 billion dollars - a mere trifle.
    Not including procurement costs !

One more reason why I think americans are assholes:rolleyes:

[Editted just in case!]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

She was called the Joint Strike Fighter X-35 ( JSF ) up until recently but she has now been renamed as the "Lightning 2" in Honour of the British built English Electric Lightning

Umm.. I hate to tell you this, but it's actually named after the P-38 Lightning, which was made by the same company: Lockheed.

p38_lightning.jpg

It's an American airplane, why would they name it after a British one? That it happens to match up with the English Electric product is a happy coincidence.

Here's my one Irish military model so far.

ec135.JPG

NTM

If thats true i do apologise but i was informed it was about the eelightning in the uk from www.ukar.co.uk as they were on about it for ages, btw i like that EC135 Gardai Chopper, very very nice! Im hoping to find my CM170 Super Magister #220 up in the attic, it must be up there somewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

http://www.wicklowsmc.com/models.htm

...an adrress on Wicklow Scale Modelling Club and ours attempts. There will be more comming, but there's no time to build/photograph/write/updating...

Hi Fise, Fouga here from Franks site!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Airfix 1/72 Gazelle. A warped kit, with mis-matched sized parts (particularly, unfortunately, the canopy, which as you can see I didn't manage to sort out particularly well). The turbine area in the real thing is a lot more complicated, but I couldn't be arsed carving into the plastic. No control rods for the rotors either, I may consider adding them later, but it's no competition entry.

SA342.JPG

NTM

Advertisement