Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question on Broadband basics

Options
  • 03-01-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

My phone point is beside the front door

How far can the cable run before the signal starts to degrade?

My PC is upstairs about 25ft away,
    would a wireless router be required then?

thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Generally not recommended to go over 10 metres (think thats 30 feet), however if you have a router you could leave it downstairs at your socket and then run a network cable (ethernet cable) upto 100metres before you'd have any problems :)

Alternatively get a router enable wireless, get a wireless adapater and leave the router downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I suppose it depends on how good the line stats are by the time the line enters the house... personally I use a 50 foot extension cable and have done for years without problems. :)
    Having said that, I haven't actually tested my router beside the phone point using a short cable, so I can't tell to what extent the longer extension is effecting my connection... but hey, it works.
    I wouldn't point-blank say a wireless router is essential, but I know people who prefer to go the wireless route for the sake of tidiness.

Advertisement