Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 Saab 9-3 - Things to look out for

Options
  • 03-01-2007 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

I'm taking an 04 Saab 9-3 for a test drive on Saturday.

Judging by the pics it's in good condition, 2.2 diesel with low mileage.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm taking an 04 Saab 9-3 for a test drive on Saturday.

Judging by the pics it's in good condition, 2.2 diesel with low mileage.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

The 2002 onwards 9-3 is based on the Opel Vectra as GM own SAAB these days.

The excelllent Fiat 1.9 multijet diesel was available in the 9-3 from late 2004 afaik. It is alot better than the old GM 2.2 litre to be honest. I would look for one of those instead if it were me.

Check out http://www.honestjohn.co.uk or http://www.parkers.co.uk for general info about the 9-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

seconded on the 1.9 diesel. It's a lot better than the Isuzu 2.2, and won't nearly cost as much in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I had a '03 petrol model which I sold last year. Following problems:

A bearing in the steering column went within a few weeks of delivery, manifested itself in lateral and vertical movement of the wheel. Once fixed never reoccurred.

Mine had dual-zone climate control and the fan got obstructed roughly four times in the three years I had it, resulting in (obviously) no air delivery, heated or otherwise. The problem was in some way related to the pollen filter. If the model you're looking at has climate control and/or ac, play with the settings and make sure that there's instant and audible response in the air delivery and that it's all in working order.

There were some minor but annoying electrical blips, such as the distance left in tank computer incorrectly calculating the mileage left, and a short-out somewhere in the system which meant that all the cabin electrics died momentarily, but it only happened very occasionally.

The engine needed balancing after 2.5 years, after it started to sound like a cold diesel.

There has been a number of recalls, including two regarding keys and one to do with a brake pipe, so ensure the owner has had them carried out.

Nothing else I can think of at the moment. While I'd obviously rather none of the above occurred, I was generally happy with the car. The biggest negative was the depreciation and with the benefit of hindsight I'd have bought a 3 series coupe for that reason only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thanks for the info guys. I was aware that the 1.9 engine might be better, but wasn't aware of how much!

Improv, you seem to have had quite a few problems. Were these common to 9-3s in general or were you just unlucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thanks for the info guys. I was aware that the 1.9 engine might be better, but wasn't aware of how much!

Improv, you seem to have had quite a few problems. Were these common to 9-3s in general or were you just unlucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Dunno mate, I've only owned one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Can only comment on the engines having had both the 2.2 and 1.9 diesels in the Vectras. The 1.9 is light years ahead in both torque and refinement. The old 2.2 is not common rail and is quite nosiy and nowhere near as fuel efficient as the 1.9. The 2.2 suffers from leaky fuel return pipes which will eventually result in starting problems. Worth checking to see if this work has been done.

All said I would hold out for the 1.9 150bhp model.....best engine I've ever had in a car.

Advertisement