Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17ft Dory

• 03-01-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Some of my friends and I were thinking of building a 17ft dory boat. We have plans to build this type of boat and we all have carpentry experience so the actual building of the boat should not be a problem as we have looked over the plans. We would use all the best wood and materials while building the boat. I have a few questions about the boat. Would this be an ideal starter boat to build or is there any other boat that would be? The plan is to eventually sell the boat at a later date. What resale value would we expect roughly to achieve? Thanks in advance. The boat would br sold with a trailer and an outboard motor of about 15hp and it is designed to fit 4 people for coastal fishing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

17ft is too small for coastal from my experience, esp home built

Dory hull's are nice and fast, but very shallow and pound a lot in a swell/rough weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

JohnCleary wrote:
    17ft is too small for coastal from my experience, esp home built

Dory hull's are nice and fast, but very shallow and pound a lot in a swell/rough weather
    I think that he might be talking about the American type dory - that's usually the type you can get plans for - not the glassfibre Dell Quay type, which do pound in a short chop. A 15hp outboard would not get the glassfibre type up on the plane, especially a 17ft one. The standard ones are 13ft.
    If it is the American one, they are not that popular over here, and may not re-sell easily.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thegaffer

JamesM wrote:
    If it is the American one, they are not that popular over here, and may not re-sell easily.
    Jim.

Thanks, the plans are for an american dory. i'll talk to the others planning to build the boat because if it is difficult to sell then i can't see that type of boat being built.

Would there be any other boats that you would suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

thegaffer wrote:
    Thanks, the plans are for an american dory. i'll talk to the others planning to build the boat because if it is difficult to sell then i can't see that type of boat being built.

Would there be any other boats that you would suggest?
    If you have carpentry experience, maybe you should look at the lovely boat built by "Boatbuilder". See "Post your boat" http://www.sum-it.biz/squirt/website/
    Or some others in the Glen range of plans.
    Jim.

Advertisement