Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xcase.co.uk free shipping on PSU's

Options
  • 03-01-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

As the thread title says - I thought I'd post here instead of bargain alerts as I'm sure the vast majority will not be entralled by this :D They are currently including Ireland on the free delivery offer as well as the UK. I just picked up a Hiper 580W PSU for 52stg delivered. Not bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

there a 10 pound charge
    just tryed it and was charged 10 pounds if i went ahead,still cheap to post
    try here
    http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/type/Power_Management/Power_Supplies/index.html
    cheaper here and ocz are rated the best psu out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

there a 10 pound charge
    try here
    http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/type/Power_Management/Power_Supplies/index.html

but noise ,seasonic pls ;)

awhir wrote:
    but noise ,seasonic pls ;)
    are the gamesteam psu from ocz noisey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well, my order went through ok (though no confirmation email yet). Incidentally, I'm still not getting any 10 pound charge when I try it now. Try adding this PSU:

Hiper HPU-4M580 Type R 580W ATX2.2 PSU

from this URL:
    http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper_Psu_s.html

tryed it again and didnt charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

there a 10 pound charge
    try here

They are a good psu allright but not the best by a long long shot. Some OCZ's use Topower units and are generally rubbish compared to the competition (modstreams). So best to avoid. The 2 on that link though you gave are the gamerstream and the latest more high end evostream. Both use fsp for their builts. Much better.

The evostream is a rebadged FSP Epsilon, modular with luvly cabling. But only 40A on the 12v rail which is poor for SLI. It also has a very loud fan. Review here : http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=42

The gamerstream is also an fsp unit and is very quiet. Review here.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=35

This review site considers OCZ Tier3. In the same league as Antec. You can generally do much better - Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax or better again Silverstone, PC Power and Cooling, Etasis.

Look here. Very well respected in his views and testing methodology. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

Look how he clasifies psu's into Tier1, Tier2 etc.. I went with the Etasis 850w myself *70a on the 12v rail* It can be got for under $200 if you look around *less then 2/3 price of what you would expect to pay as they make their own psu's* Not bad for a psu that is fully qualified for 8800GTX SLI by nivida, and is considered in the same league as PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone highend models and Zippy. The downside is Tier1 use server grade components so can be noisy cooling wise, and are almost never modular and cables are not always fully sleeved. My Etasis is actually rebadged by Seasononic and sold as the Zeus, except mine has a quieter 80mm fan. And is half the price of the 850w Enermax Galaxy which is Tier2.

Tier2 comes the famously quiet Seasonic *they make their own also*, Corsair (rebadged Seasonic), PC Power and Cooling ilsencers, Enermax galaxy range and a few others I am not familiar with (have not used more like it)

Tier3 (slightly less build quality then Tier2) is considered Hiper, Antec, FSP, OCZ. Alot of these guys use FSP units in their builds. They are good but generally do not hold up their wattage rating under stress. They start to loose power after about 35 degrees. And even advertise only 35 degrees in their spec. A Tier1 will stay at max up to 50degrees.

Sorry double post

i have a thermaltake purepower 680 watt psu,not considered a good psu,so far hasnt let me down
    im using a dfi cfx3200 mobo which abit choosey with psu and ram
    ocz, seasonic and corsair are recommended by dfi.street.forums
    was looking at ocz gamestream 700 watt psu

Most well known brands are fine sure. It depends how anal you are about psu's. Unless you buy a noname brand or crap like QTec you should be fine.
    Try to get a Corsair or Seasonic though. Rated better.

lol i bought enermax noisetaker 600W thinking it would be silent and it was allso recommend by dfi(what a idiot)and its as noise now :(

• Advertisement

Flaccus wrote:
    Most well known brands are fine sure. It depends how anal you are about psu's. Unless you buy a noname brand or crap like QTec you should be fine.
    Try to get a Corsair or Seasonic though. Rated better.
    is the ocz gamestream 700 not good psu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

its not a bad psu, but there are better. like the seasonic S12 series. You wont need 700W anyway. As a c2d 8800gtx sli setup only needs 450W. With a strong 12V rail(s).

have a crossfire setup,not sure if it uses same as sli
    can get a 650 watt seasonic S12 at pixmania for 176 euros

whach out seasoinc and dfi dont get on ,it may not work with ur board.

awhir wrote:
    thought the seasonic s12 was ok with dfi cfx3200 mobos

awhir wrote:
    hows the mobo going

I would say it is dfi has issues with seasonic and not the other way around.

A 450w psu has been shown to work with g80 sli but then you are running the psu maxed out.....noise would be a problem. As would temps. Nvidia recommend 60a on the 12v rails. Not many pus's do this. 50a would probably be ok. Lots of psu's out there can do this, and for Xfire you need less.

KelticKnight - As you are running xfire, any of the psu's you mentioned would be fine. The seasonic s12 is quieter then the m12 series which is what they push for quad sli. Either will suit you. As will the OCZ. Buy whichever is cheapest.

Flaccus wrote:
    I would say it is dfi has issues with seasonic and not the other way around.

A 450w psu has been shown to work with g80 sli but then you are running the psu maxed out.....noise would be a problem. As would temps. Nvidia recommend 60a on the 12v rails. Not many pus's do this. 50a would probably be ok. Lots of psu's out there can do this, and for Xfire you need less.

KelticKnight - As you are running xfire, any of the psu's you mentioned would be fine. The seasonic s12 is quieter then the m12 series which is what they push for quad sli. Either will suit you. As will the OCZ. Buy whichever is cheapest.
    can get the ocz 700 watt gamestream psu for €150 or the seasonic s12 650 watt psu for €176
    more with my mobo use the ocz 600 or 700 gamestream psu
    so will either go with the ocz 700 or seasonic s12
    theres also ocz 850 gamestream psu for €212

its allright now touch wood after 3 reinstalls but i get the odd slow down or the pc james form the ****ty uli drivers.

i sorted that with the uli driver prob by leting windows install its own drivers and downloaded the latest uli drivers off nvidia site and it install the new uli driver and no probs so far 2 months on

• Advertisement

nice.

can get the ocz 700 watt gamestream psu for €150 or the seasonic s12 650 watt psu for €176
    more with my mobo use the ocz 600 or 700 gamestream psu
    so will either go with the ocz 700 or seasonic s12
    theres also ocz 850 gamestream psu for €212

I would get the seasonic s12 650w. It's a better psu. better build quality, quieter, built by seasonic. it is sleeved, just not modular. 850w is only needed if you intend running 2 x 8800gtx's in sli and a quad core cpu.

running a amd dual cpu with 2 g-cards in xfire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Getting back on topic, the customer service at xcase is truly dreadful. I emailed two days and no reply. Tried ringing and get a constantly engaged tone on both numbers. I would say pay the extra and go with Komplett or Pixmania.

here another irish company based selling ocz psu's
    good prices on anything they sell

Advertisement