Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT and my line fault

Options
  • 03-01-2007 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have had a very noisy phone line for the last few months. It is unusable for the most part. Up to now it didnt bother me too much that BT were a shower of ***** but now it is affecting my BB aswell. I have tried everything to get them to send out an eircom repair guy as I most likely know that the problem is moisture and I guess its on the pole side as I have checked the master box and all other connections that eircom own. BT told be the usual lies. That eircom do not own the line going into the house. that I must get an electrician to look at the line. I have told them that I am an electrician. (Im close enough to 1). I have tried a few phones in the socket and all are static ridden.

See the email I have sent them to customer care and complaints in the hope to get some answers
    {
    FORMAL COMPLAINT
    I still have no phone after reporting it to CUSTOMER SERVICE several
    times over the last few weeks. This also means that I have no Broadband.
    You have failed under your customer charter to answer my previous
    reports and all internet logged faults disappear after a few days. THIS
    is a formal complaint and I expect to hear from you with a complaint
    reference number. I have contacted comreg. I do not expect to pay for my
    services since I reported the fault as it is BT who have failed to
    provide me with a service and not eircom.

Telling me that the line tests green, as I am in the telecommunications
    industry I would like to find out just what exactly this test includes.
    As the fault I described would need someone to do a signal to noise
    ratio test on the line at the customer end. I won't go into more detail
    over email. I have been on to operators for several hours and in the
    queue for over 15 hours with no answer on most occasions after leaving
    you on speaker phone for over 2 hours. I find it comical that the
    automated service tells me that business is now closed when I try to
    report a fault at 5pm. The recording tells me that you are open until
    7pm mon to fri.

I have been treated like a fool by costumer service agents. I have tried
    to lodge a formal complaint and craig refused saying that all avenues
    have not been exhausted yet. He also logged lots of information and told
    me that a manager or technical person would call me back. I have not
    heard from anyone.

If my call gets through to a call queing service I have not been called
    back.

}
    I dont know if i am entiled to seek some compensation from them since I have reported the problem on several occasions as much as 3 months ago. and now i have no phone or BB.
    COMREG wont get involved until I have a complaint number off them. I seem to have trouble getting them to lodge a complaint over the phone if you do manage to get through. Still waiting for an email reply. Has anyone got the new email of the CEO. mike.moloney@esat.com is not right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That kind of nonsense from BT is not acceptable and I'm glad you are following it up with them. The best way to solve these things is to kick up a fuss about it. If they continue to fob you off then I suggest you send off another letter, with a copy sent to a newspaper or two.

I'm not suprised by Comreg's response. Another example of their "proactive" defense of the consumer. I would like to know what Comreg would do if a telecomms company refuses to give a complaint number or adknowledge the complaint. In the case of eircom and pairgains, the media defended the consumer's interest more than Comreg have done. A Pat Kenny show a while back, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Unless you're in the UK and this is an actual UK phone line, BT are likely simply relaying the responses they are getting from Eircom.

It is very likely, even certain, that Eircom, not BT, are at fault here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If a WLR customer has a line fault, isn't it the wholesaler's responsibility to follow up the fault with eircom? Eircom can't do anything until they are told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If a WLR customer has a line fault, isn't it the wholesaler's responsibility to follow up the fault with eircom? Eircom can't do anything until they are told.

That's usually not where the problem lies: Eircom do get told by BT, but they don't care, instead choosing to stall. The only thing an operator like BT can do is keep putting pressure on Eircom. Same reason over half of LLU requests fail. It isn't because Smart, Magnet or whoever else don't try to unbundle the line, it's because of delays caused by Eircom.

In this case, Eircom is being paid to provide a working telephone line by BT. It is Eircom's job to fix it, as it is they who get the money, but Eircom are not doing their job. The only reason they can get away with it is because Comreg continues to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That's usually not where the problem lies: Eircom do get told by BT, but they don't care, instead choosing to stall. The only thing an operator like BT can do is keep putting pressure on Eircom. Same reason over half of LLU requests fail. It isn't because Smart, Magnet or whoever else don't try to unbundle the line, it's because of delays caused by Eircom.

In this case, Eircom is being paid to provide a working telephone line by BT. It is Eircom's job to fix it, as it is they who get the money, but Eircom are not doing their job. The only reason they can get away with it is because Comreg continues to do nothing.

I am not one to defend eircom, but is this speculation or do you have hard evidence?

In this particular situation, the impression I got from the OP is that he was fobbed off by BT before he hung up the phone. BT Didn't have time to tell Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

Well,

Have not been contacted by them myself but I have spent more time to get through a call que and they have told me that the complaint has been logged. It is not supperising that when I asked them for all the dates that I have logged calls / online faults they only thing that showed up were the last few calls that I logged.

But now I know that they have to respond to me or COMREG will be involved. Of course the problem with my phone has once again receeded and now everyting is fine today. But a week from now I'll prob have no phone again. I just have the feeling that if I am really lucky and eircom do actually come out that my phone will be perfect and knowing my luck the engineer wont be too bothered to find an intermittent fault or even better they will pair gain my line with another line ::)

Well after the formal complaint eircom did eventually arrive and had it fixed in about 30 min. The problem was at the local box up the road. I got someone elses pair of wires that they were not using. Think it was my next door neighbours. Now I have a clean diall tone and a beter noise margin figure.

Not to leave it at that I had got a direct number for a person in the complaints department and after ringing them and leaving many voice mails I finally got thorough to them. I got the I am very sorry for not calling you........ Well I told him that I was unhappy with the service and that complaining for over 2months was a bit of a joke for a fault. Told them that they were in breach of 3 / 5 guidelines in their customer charter so he has now credited me with 3 months free line and broadband rental.

The complaints department were more friendly to deal with and at least they have the power or the ability to escalate any problem to the correct department.

Well heres to a trouble free future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

In a situation where your physical line is the problem I'd always try and get into contact with both the reseller and Eircom as in the end it's Eircom who will be doing the fixing not the reseller.

I know what you are saying but a call center agent will just tell you that there is nothing that they can do and to call your subscriber.

Was through it in the start while I was changing over from eircom to BT. I tried to report it. but they said that I do not have an account with them

Advertisement