Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop hard drive adapter

• 03-01-2007 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

My laptop is just after packing in a few days ago. It looks at this stage as if I'll have to send it off for repair but the repair price I'm being quoted is making me wonder if buying a new machine is a better option.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone can reccomend a device that can read the hard drive on a laptop through a desktop so I can back up everything before i decide what to do next. I know for a fact that these type of devices exist in some form but I don't know a lot about them beyond that (i don't know for example if they're connected to a drive bay in the PC or connected externally).

Sorry if i'm being a bit vague - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are looking for a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter (I think thats what you call them). Peats or Maplin should have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Like Ruu said, and they're something like €14 in Maplin (still well overpriced though).
    Alternatively if you could wait two weeks you can locate a 2.5" IDE to USB adaptor on eBay for less than that including shipping, and they really do come in handy. (You could buy one in maplin but it wouldn't be worth it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Right right,

Forgive my blinding ignorance but I presume Peats & Maplin are online shops.

So will these IDE converters work for the HDD on any laptop? I have a piece of sh!t dell laptop that died on me 2 years ago and there are some files I'd like to retrieve from that.

I take it then that once the laptop hard drive is connected to the desktop the desktop will read it simply as another hard drive?

thanks for the quick response guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Peats are on Parnell Street in Duberlin (have an online shop as well) and Maplin have a store in Blanchardstown and Jervis Street.
    Yeah the adapter will work for any laptop hard drive and should show up as another drive in My Computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

J.S. Pill wrote:
    I take it then that once the laptop hard drive is connected to the desktop the desktop will read it simply as another hard drive?

I think you should get a 2.5" hard disk enclosure http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327488

You can easliy install the drive in the enclosure and then its just a matter of plugging in a USB cable

You can then use it as a portable hard drive :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement