Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your QX6700 load temps

• 03-01-2007 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

For those of you with Quads, what sort of load temps do you get on air running something like Orthos or Prime95.

At 3.3ghz (300x11) my cores idle in mid to high 40's according to CoreTemps, depending on ambient room temp.

Running Orthos which only appears to stress 2 of my cores, all 4 cores gradually increase. 75 degrees is the max.

Now if I run at stock speed, which allows the cpu to reduce it's multiplier and voltage my idle/load is much better at sub 40/high 60's.

Just wondering what everyone else is getting, because some people on OcUK and some other forums have told me on air their quads overclocked to 3.3ghz + never go over 50 which is complete BS considering every single reliable site and serious overclocker has reported these things run damn hot which makes since considering you are using more then twice the juice of 2 Core2Duo's (e6700's)

Of course I have expect some people here to tell me their QX6700 idles at 35 and never goes over 45.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

mine idles at about 12c load and abour -45 idle :p

Yes im lying. I dont have one. And i dont think anyone else has on here either. you rich bastid :)

p/s you also made a duplicate post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Oh...I am far from a rich bastid...I just don't mind using my credit card/overdraft a lot, and I can occasionally get some cpu's at ex-vat prices. But I do admit I spent and waste a silly amount on pc stuff. My last hobby was hi-fi which I gave up 10 years ago. My setup at the time cost the same as a new Focus. Booze would be cheaper.

Regarding double posts - Thanks to eircom crap broadband, going up and down lately. I have always had a 38/39db rating on my connection for the last 2 years+ and only now they tell me it's too high and I might have to drop down from a 3meg line to a 1meg. Apparently every 15-20mins or so I am loosing my dsl synch. But this only happens for a week or so every 6 months. Rest of the time it's perfect. So I can't see how an attenuation of 38db has anything to do with it, considering they told me when I signed up that radsl does not kick in until 45db anyway, and disconnect around 50db. Muppets. I bet it is the exchange so they are sending an "engineer" out to look. Won't let him near the house as it's a 69 euro charge. Will stick in a new master socket myself if I have to.

jasus, that was one expensive hi-fi.

Ive been looking around and the TDP of the quad core is 130W, the same as the quadcore 5360 xeons and EE965's. They put out a serious ammount of heat. The best bet is a good watercooling setup with a single loop for the cpu.

As for eircom, just move to ntl. I never had any problems with them in ireland. And the tech guys there actually knew what they were on about. Unlike the eircom ones who tell you to reboot your pc/router/microwave/park the car in third gear on the 5th hill down the road on the right hand side near the tree with moss.....

link dosent work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

havent got around to using my qx6700, im in aussie at the moment for a few weeks anyway so will be ages before i use it, it will be old tech when i eentually use it, im dying to try my 2x 8800gtx's also :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I had one for about a month, under watercooling with a single 120mm radiator (everything inside an Antec P160). At 320x10 my idle temps where ~45C and at full load (S&M, all 4 cores @100% ) they were just over 70C.
    Had to sell it, as I realised it's not worth the hassle of making a 50kgr case with monster watercooling, for power I will propably never need. I'll stick to C2D for the time being ;)

The limit for the quad is 100 degrees according to Coretemp and right now I am idling at 34 to 37 as the room is not warm. The good news when gaming is that it never gets close to 60. It's only running the likes of Orthos it can hit 70. Happy enough, but putting in basic watercooling all the same.

Also - there are lots of 680i users out there claiming they never go over 50 degrees with a quad. Update to the latest bios and you will find your temps jump 10 degrees plus :D

gline wrote:
    havent got around to using my qx6700, im in aussie at the moment for a few weeks anyway so will be ages before i use it, it will be old tech when i eentually use it, im dying to try my 2x 8800gtx's also :eek:

what - is there some new 8 core cpu coming out in a few weeks that is going to obsolte our quads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.intelcapabilitiesforum.net/8_cores_no_waiting

guts_dof.jpg?m=t

Twin Quad core Xeons if only you could overclock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

TonyM. wrote:
    http://www.intelcapabilitiesforum.net/8_cores_no_waiting

guts_dof.jpg?m=t

Twin Quad core Xeons if only you could overclock it.
    Well actually you can overclock a twin Cloverton on Super Micro board. ;) you'll get them to 3.2 but not much more. the mem controller has a wall on it at that. A little bit of a 'tape' mod goes a long way. Just to confirm thats 8 cores on a single setup. Hardcore. Pity that FB-DIMMS cost so much. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement