Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Links Scheme

Options
  • 03-01-2007 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if somebody could clear up this question I have.
    Say for example if I attainted the fetac cert for a course which has certain requirments e.g 5 distinctions ect.
    If I did miss out on my first choice in the leaving cert, is it worth reapeating the LC or would FETAC level 5 certs be a viable alternitive, as givin a choice, I wouldent like to study a fetac cert for a year and then because of reserved places not get my College place as by that stage I would have to re-apply for next year or repeat the LC.

Simply Is the Higher Education Links scheme too competitive to warrent a suitable alternitive status, because when I look at certain Colleges, 5 places for fetac holders seems very low considering
    LC candidates have upwards of 90 places.
    I reckon random selection also applies?
    Just to add, I want to go for computing/IT/comp science as I find most aspects very interesting like c programming for example and would like to get a formal qualification in these areas.

Sorry if this post is a bit over the place, but I am just a tad bit confused about the HELS.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

*bump*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It really depends on the course,and what level fetac course and what year you want to join in uni and if you are prepared to go to the UK.

What course are you thinking of?
    what course would you like to do in Uni?
    Did you pass the lc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am sitting the LC this june.
    I am just wondering if this is a reliable backup option.
    The fetac level cert is level 5
    I was thinking of computer science in DIT.

Advertisement