Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning oil off timber floors?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

OK i dont have a clue where to put this so i just put it in ah, so mods move if nessisary. Anyway basicly my brothers knocked over the deep fat fryer(the oil was cool) and all the oil spilled all over the floor. Tried cleaing it with water and it didnt work it only made things worse so basicly, how the hell do you go about cleaning it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, redirect is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Soak as much as possible up with kitchen paper, old rags, etc. Water and oil don't mix so no point in using it - as you found out. Once you've cleaned to the point where the floors is oily on the surface, leave some very absorbent kitchen paper on the floor for a few hours and it will soak even more out. Then mop the floor with a generous helping of your usual floor cleaner (you may need to this a few times). Mop with warm water to help thin the oil somewhat.

That should sort it out. The main thing is to get it cleaned ASAP before the oil soaks into the wood where it may discolour it.

Advertisement