Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading 939 to Opteron Dual Core? Worth it?

Options
  • 03-01-2007 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Lo folks,

Upgraded last year to a socket 939 mobo/processor combo (single core). Was looking to upgrade to a dual core without spending too much as the processor i have is turning out to be a bit of a bottleneck in the overall machine...

So, was looking at getting a Socket 939 X2 but it would appear they're no longer being continued :(

I did spot this however, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313936 and was wondering if anyone had this processor, how it performed for them and if not, any better suggestions or even better a place still selling off some 939 X2's???

Or better off just going to Am2?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The 165 is worth it if you plan on overclocking it. At stock speeds it can be pretty slow, and might not reduce your bottleneck for apps and games that don't make use of dual core.

Most steppings of the opty 165 can easily overclock up to 2.5, some get to 2.8 then a select few 3Ghz+

I'd really need to know what the rest of your system is though. As if you intend on overclocking the 165 you'll need a mobo which can handle high fsb values as the multi on it is locked at 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yes its worth it. Ive gone from a 3500+ to a opty 170. Huge performance when overclocked. Not that much as standard. But as l31mr0d said. You will need a good motherboard and ram for a nice overclock

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Current Processor is a Athlon 3700+ and the motherboard is an A8N32-Sli Deluxe with 2GB Corsair XMS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

YEP THAT will work perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Looking at the same upgrade guys, ive got a MSI K8N SLI Platinum, and gig of Corsair value. Any good? What exactly should I look for?

• Advertisement

anything between a opty 160 165 and 170. These are fc-62 killers, well ,known to do well over 3ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Been weighing up my odds, thought i'd managed to source an X2 4600 which i was after first... so it's back to the Opteron as my last choice...

want to go dual core but without a major overhaul of the system, ie. motherboard, psu, processor and probably memory too...

So the opteron is the last chance, from what I can see the performance would be by default around the same as a 3700 single core.

So, dual core opteron at 1.8 with 2mb overall cache or single core 3700 with 1mb cache? Worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

So, dual core opteron at 1.8 with 2mb overall cache or single core 3700 with 1mb cache? Worth it?

get the opteron. there are just too many reasons why it is better than the 3700+. So put simply, just get the opteron, you won't be disappointed. It will easily, at least, overclock to 2.5Ghz, outperforming the 3700+, plus its dual core allowing for future multi-threaded games

support++

Advertisement