Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne crisis

• 03-01-2007 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Daily Star wrote:
    Shels owe €40k in wages and €80k in bonuses to players
    - Ollie adamant he wont walk away, wants to stay as sponsorship manager, director of football and UEFA Club football committee
    - Byrne and Kilkenny agreed terms on Byrne's role in November but they have fallen through
    - Dillon disputing Shels' right to sell him as he wrote to league on December 20th claiming to be free agent
    - League to rule on Dillon case by Friday and the others have made similar complaints
    - Ollie claims he cant walk away because he has obligations to creditors, suppliers, supporters ad friends who have helped Shels over the years
    - Shels in talks with Morton Management Committee but would need to invest €10-€15 Million to upgrade stadium
    - DCC wants assurances proceeds from sale of Tolka will be used for sporting purposes

Other article mentions ....
    - Shels 99% owned by Accolade
    - Freehold of Tolka held by DCC, zoned as sporting amenity
    - Donnelly family holds long term lease on Tolka
    - Accolade leases Tolka from Donnelly Family
    - In 2003 Accolade agreed deal with Ivano Cafello on first option to the lease
    - Cafello sold 65% of this option to Kilkenny and O'Reilly in 2004
    - Shels loaned €6.5 millionsince 2003 by Cafello, Kilkenny and O'Reilly
    - Half of that figure was given to the Donnelly family to buy their share-holding in Shelbourne FC
    Daily mail wrote:
    Dillon sold without his knowledge so refusing to go
    Heary, byrne and ryan declaring themselves as free agents!!
    Players not paid for over 6 weeks – one cant even afford petrol

Different kind to the Hammers and Chelseas, more like the bad oh no we are fcuked kind of crisis.

Complete embarrassment to EL and football in general. On the bright side if they go bust we in Europe :D

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Ollie is on Newstalk now, he has totally lost the plot. It would be sad if he wasn't such a bitter, unpleasant person who thoroughly deserves what he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rumour down this way says that the Polish crowd who were interested in taking over Limerick now are interested in Shels. Danny Drew (Limerick Chairman) is the one who will be the go between apparently. Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

Though there is another rumour that they are a day or two from folding, which despite everything, would be an absolute disaster for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    Though there is another rumour that they are a day or two from folding, which despite everything, would be an absolute disaster for the league.

How? Would it not serve a point in showing how not to run a club? What have the PFAI said on this ? Same people who lambasted Harps mid season before even talking to the players, how did Shels get a licence when they obviously cant pay their players?

Shels going bang wouldnt be a bad thing at some point every EL club has issues like this Derry Cork Patsx2 Rovers Harps Waterford....but they came through by realising it and making efforts to fix the problem, Shels have been like this for a while now and they have ran the club deeper and deeper into the ground.

kdjac

^ I see what you are saying and agree to a certain extent.

I suppose the statement I made is more from a rivalry point of view than anything. I love the Shels game at the Cross, it is always very intense, where everything decision is contested. The athmosphere is usually off the charts, and afterwards, win, lose or draw (though us losing to Shels never happens anymore :p ), you can have a drink, safe in the knowledge that there will be no hassles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Shels situation is pretty much identical to the situation that Leeds were in 3 seasons ago and are still feeling the effects of that as its looking like we could be going down to League 1. It seems as if Ollie is just like Peter Ridsdale in that he clearly has no business sense whatsoever and continued to run the club into deeper and deeper trouble despite all the warning signs. Its a very real possibility that Shels could go bust unless they can get some investment into the club. They will have no players for next season so there is a very real threat of relegation, thats providing of course that they can field a team because at this rate they will have no players at all!

The first thing Shels need to do is give up their professional status and become an amatuer club again and try to get investment into the club but I really cant see that anyone will be stupid enough to put money into the club as long as Ollie is still involved.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    ^ I see what you are saying and agree to a certain extent.

I suppose the statement I made is more from a rivalry point of view than anything. I love the Shels game at the Cross, it is always very intense, where everything decision is contested. The athmosphere is usually off the charts, and afterwards, win, lose or draw (though us losing to Shels never happens anymore :p ), you can have a drink, safe in the knowledge that there will be no hassles.

This isn't a dig, but your club isn't around very long, and neither are a lot of your fans. Cork and Shels have built up a rivalry as they have been the two best teams in the league for the past couple of years. To be honest I think Drogheda will break into this top 2 this season, regardless of any other teams' problems. If Cork mount a title challenge next season, there will be a fine rivalry between themselves and whoever is the natural rival; I wouldn't be too hung up on missing the atmosphere of a couple of league fixtures against Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bateman wrote:
    This isn't a dig, but your club isn't around very long, and neither are a lot of your fans. Cork and Shels have built up a rivalry as they have been the two best teams in the league for the past couple of years. To be honest I think Drogheda will break into this top 2 this season, regardless of any other teams' problems. If Cork mount a title challenge next season, there will be a fine rivalry between themselves and whoever is the natural rival; I wouldn't be too hung up on missing the atmosphere of a couple of league fixtures against Shels.

Bohs fans...Atmosphere:D

Cork... fair weather fans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bateman wrote:
    Ollie is on Newstalk now, he has totally lost the plot. It would be sad if he wasn't such a bitter, unpleasant person who thoroughly deserves what he gets.

And the players? And fans?

:rolleyes:

I was going to temper my remarks about Ollie by saying that I don't bear any grudge against the players or fans, but what's the point? It would be a lie.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:
    Cork... fair weather fans :D

Why? And I do not want to get into a big slagging match. Every club has fair weather fans. City have no more, or no less than anyone else.

Bateman wrote:
    I was going to temper my remarks about Ollie by saying that I don't bear any grudge against the players or fans, but what's the point? It would be a lie.

The feeling is mutual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Que sera, sera. Thick'n'thin, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A little birdie tells me that Oliver will be on the TV3 news this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Admin Gareth off the Shels website says Kearney has left the club

likely to be going to Cork

I'd be all for Pat's rubbing Ollies patronising gesture of "give season tickets to Dublin City fans" back in his face by offering Shels season ticket holders discounted entry to Richmond Park next season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyLx9gfvP8

Along with the Mail and Star its about time the media started covering it.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyLx9gfvP8

Along with the Mail and Star its about time the media started covering it.

kdjac

Ollie "part-time" Byrne. Has a nice ring to it.

The feeling is mutual.

So why the Maud Flanders "won't somebody think of the fans" bleating? :confused:

Bateman wrote:
    So why the Maud Flanders "won't somebody think of the fans" bleating? :confused:

The feeling is mutual towards you. I reserve my disdain for those who deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What players?

As for the fans, fans of other teams have been telling Shels fans for a couple of years that it would all come tumbling down, you responded by making "Jealous" banners.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote:
    What players?

Cheap shot.
    bohsman wrote:
    As for the fans, fans of other teams have been telling Shels fans for a couple of years that it would all come tumbling down, you responded by making "Jealous" banners.

"You"? I've never made a banner in my life, and if you can be bothered checking back I've been pretty consistent in backing up KdjaCL's posts re. trouble in the Shels camp. There's plenty like me who've seen this coming, stop talking out of your hoop.

Fair enough, I meant "Shels fans" not "you"

As it is its hard to feel sorry for the Shels fans as they did nothing - the now overused head in sand. Its been coming, it happened to Pats, theyre recovering, it happened to Bohs, we sold our ground and got lucky. It happened to Rovers, their fans took matters into their own hands. Once the Shels fans do this they will get a bit more sympathy. As long as Ollie Byrne or the 3 property developers have anything to do with Shels all parts of the club deserve everything it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bohsman wrote:
    What players?

The 'jealous' banner was made for Hutton's return to Derry as a Shels player.

The banner was brought down to the Bohs game for a laugh. It wasn't made for that game as you claim.

You're not that important!!! :p

Anyway a bit more imaginative than banners with 'Judas' and 'Welcome to hell' on them. How original. :rolleyes:

From this mornings indo

SHELBOURNE'S players were not paid again yesterday as the troubled Reds officially appealed against defender Sean Dillon's declaration that he is a free agent.

The matter could go to a tribunal as early as next Tuesday but Shels must fork out a €5,000 fee before the tribunal can take place.

It will be the first of a number of cases that Shelbourne are planning to fight. Owen Heary, Bobby Ryan and Jason byrne all submitted similar solicitor's letters earlier this week stating that they are free agents after failing to receive their wages for two consecutive weeks and Colin Hawkins is expected to join the queue for the Tolka Park exit next week.

Eamon Collins must be making a fortune :eek:

Next week is game over day for Shels,paying to not pay players :confused: I did a management course before and Shels arent paying their players and the players want to leave on frees, so shels are paying 5 grand to go to court and fight the case that they are not paying the players but will pay the court to keep them without paying them:confused: Could someone explain that to me :confused:

And now it has emerged that ndo was playing for Shels on the Pats work permit, that he was IMPROPERLY REGISTERED
    to play for Shels over the last few years , so at 3 points a game deduction, i do believe Shels are in LSL Under 11s now or close to it going with the "rules are rules" point.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Where fcuk is Ollie even going to get €5,000 tribunal fee? :confused:

Let them go Ollie. You explicitly told them they could leave if they were failed to be paid again, spend your time,effort and money sorting out a structure, budget and future for our club instead of been a fcuking tool :rolleyes:

Well we can only pray Stokes joins Celtic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

And now it has emerged that ndo was playing for Shels on the Pats work permit, that he was IMPROPERLY REGISTERED
    to play for Shels over the last few years , so at 3 points a game deduction, i do believe Shels are in LSL Under 11s now or close to it going with the "rules are rules" point.

I could imagine the stink ole would kick up if it were the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

KdjaCL wrote:
    And now it has emerged that ndo was playing for Shels on the Pats work permit, that he was IMPROPERLY REGISTERED to play for Shels over the last few years , so at 3 points a game deduction, i do believe Shels are in LSL Under 11s now or close to it going with the "rules are rules" point.

Emerged where, besides from the voices in your head? :) Ain't heard the slightest mention of this elsewhere. Joseph was granted a new/renewal work permit in late (December?) 2005, which I would assume had Accolade Ltd down as his employers? Perhaps I'm wrong, but given that your little statement is all I've heard/seen on the matter, it's a little dark in here! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

AFAIR There is still some cash owed for Dillons move to Shels from Longford.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote:
    The banner was brought down to the Bohs game for a laugh. It wasn't made for that game as you claim.

And that is relevant how exactly? Either the sentiment was gloating, or it wasn't. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bateman wrote:
    And that is relevant how exactly? Either the sentiment was gloating, or it wasn't. :rolleyes:

You claimed it was made for that specific game, it wasn't. And was there not some jealousy amongst some Bohs fans that their beloved idol was playing for us? The player they had drooled over and who many refused to believe was leaving until he was dropped for the game in Turner's Cross...
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well we can only pray Stokes joins Celtic now.

I couldn't give a toss who Stokesy signs for........as long as it's the highest bidder!!!! :D

Zebra3 wrote:
    I couldn't give a toss who Stokesy signs for........as long as it's the highest bidder!!!! :D

I was told we got more money if he left for a non-English club, not sure if its true or not though.

Zebra3 wrote:
    You claimed it was made for that specific game, it wasn't. And was there not some jealousy amongst some Bohs fans that their beloved idol was playing for us? The player they had drooled over and who many refused to believe was leaving until he was dropped for the game in Turner's Cross...

Yes, obviously but there were funny parts too, Bobby Ryan turning up to Dalymount days after that photo in the papers looking for wages as his contract didnt run out for another couple of months, he got laughed out the door, Hawkins was a waste of space aswell.

Besides the whole point is you (Shels fans in general) accused everyone of being jealous and clueless when we claimed you were paying for all this with money you didnt have. We saw this day coming a lot more clearly than the collapse of Dublin City. There are still posts going up on ShelsWeb about how you should take more money of the developers to pay for the stars to stay.

bohsman wrote:
    There are still posts going up on ShelsWeb about how you should take more money of the developers to pay for the stars to stay.
    Go on then, link to them.

Or else stop telling lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I read in the Mirror that Roddy Collins would be interested in taking up the job at Shels, claims he can bring in 5 players for free so he does :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is Carlton Palmer one?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Stekelly wrote:
    Is Carlton Palmer one?:)

ROFL :D , oh jesus .

News of world also saying same about Collins...oh please let himm get the job :D

Daily Mail has article on UEFA licences being dished out in March if shels current situation doesnt improve, Pats are in Europe at their expense....oh the frikkin irony. Unlikley Ollie will allow it to happen but god it would be funny.

kdjac

seansouth wrote:
    Go on then, link to them.

Or else stop telling lies.

http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7557&start=60

Of a poll taken, 16 out of 51 votes propose Ollie to have some role in the future running of the club, including 3 who think he should still be "at the helm". You can't fool anyone SeanSouth, there is still a large portion of delusion at Tolka, true as it may be that the penny is dropping.

KdjaCL wrote:
    News of world also saying same about Collins...oh please let himm get the job :D

Daily Mail has article on UEFA licences being dished out in March if shels current situation doesnt improve, Pats are in Europe at their expense....oh the frikkin irony. Unlikley Ollie will allow it to happen but god it would be funny.

kdjac

I hope Pats do get into Europe ahead of Shels , I think they have a better team currently and Shels are only going to lose more players . Pats being in Europe would be better for the coefficient .

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    I hope Pats do get into Europe ahead of Shels , I think they have a better team currently and Shels are only going to lose more players . Pats being in Europe would be better for the coefficient .

Doubt if Roddy gets the job being the clever business man he is he wants a % of the club which be used by him and his Mileson (gretna owner tried to buy pats) and Shels be ok moneywise and Collins will have his club.

kdjac

Bateman wrote:
    http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7557&start=60

Of a poll taken, 16 out of 51 votes propose Ollie to have some role in the future running of the club, including 3 who think he should still be "at the helm". You can't fool anyone SeanSouth, there is still a large portion of delusion at Tolka, true as it may be that the penny is dropping.
    Hmm.

If Ollie relinquishes control to Kilkenny and his cronies, who have said they will stump up Shels OWN cash for a year, then do what they will.

Don't forget, Kilkenny now owns Tolka Park lease, and wants us out. IMO Ollie is right to say no to this proposal.

Of course, if another benefactor arrives on the scene, then Ollie can take a running jump.

Ollie's incompetence / reckless trading has been just as harmful to the club as any property developer's interests could ever be. Do people still not realise this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I reported a story here a couple of months ago saying Shelbournes discussions over there move to Santry had collapsed, and one or two shelbourne fans said i was lying.
    Im a shelbourne fan myself and the on thing I noticed was how could they be paying Alan Moore €2K a week when not even 2,000 were showing up at matches.
    As was posted above...a lot of people down Drumcondra direction still have their eyes closed.
    Ollie has done a lot for the club but in my opinion he has to go. I know of one company who are bringing Shels to court over non-payment for products delivered.
    So the plot thickens, but if you have your eyes open you could see the empire falling during the season.
    It seems to me that Shelbourne set their business plan on qualifing for CL. When this didnt happed in 2006, the wheels fell off.
    Smiliar to Leeds Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveH wrote:
    I reported a story here a couple of months ago saying Shelbournes discussions over there move to Santry had collapsed, and one or two shelbourne fans said i was lying.

Here
    is the thread in question
    Zane's post
    Einstürzende's post

the pot is calling the kettle black

well I'm off to bury my head back in the sand now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Fans are fans: it's not their job to worry about club finances.
    Ollie is Ollie, and no one could expect him to have the league's interests and image in mind.
    IMO, the League/FAI are culpable for letting things get this far.

SectionF wrote:
    Fans are fans: it's not their job to worry about club finances.
    Ollie is Ollie, and no one could expect him to have the league's interests and image in mind.
    IMO, the League/FAI are culpable for letting things get this far.

Maybe so but you would expect Ollie to at least look out for Shelbourne's (long-term) interests .

IMO Shelbourne and more specifically Ollie is culpable for letting things get this far . I wouldn't be happy if Shelbourne simply ceased to exist , they have too much history and it wouldn't be good for the league to lose 1500+ fans .However if they did cease to exist they could have no one to blame but themselves .

Talks with the Rod have broke down according to newspaper reports.

Lol that would have been sweet The Rod leading Shels in the 1st Division :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

KdjaCL wrote:
    Talks with the Rod have broke down according to newspaper reports.

Lol that would have been sweet The Rod leading Shels in the 1st Division :D

kdjac
    I know its Shels own fault that they are in the financial situation they find themselves but you really seem to be revelling in the demise of one of Irelands oldest clubs; Its sad really but there are lots of genuine football fans who don't lower themselves to gloating when other football clubs go through financial troubles/difficulties.

If Shels are a major rival club for you , why do you want them to go bust or be relegated? Surely it'd be much better to have ALL the big clubs in big derby games ... if you take the big clubs out of the league then its detrimental to the league itself.

You did not see Shels fans pulling the pi$$ when dublin city wound down ...

I really hope Shels can sort something out and somehow put forward a decent team for setanta, europe and new fai league season .. perhaps they have a few more youngsters coming through who can help improve the squad outlook ... Shels should be doing some fundraising quiz's or gigs to try get some much needed cashflow back into the club.

Also pimp out as much space on the kit as legally possible , didn't drogs have 2 sponsors on their kit last season ??

LizardKing wrote:
    you really seem to be revelling in the demise of one of Irelands oldest clubs
    He's a bitter Pat's fan ffs, it's all he knows how to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement